Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some towing Questions (Leveling kit and WDH)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Fluffy.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Some towing Questions (Leveling kit and WDH)

So I ordered my truck a few weeks ago, and firstly, i'm excited.

This is what I ordered:

2013 FX4 Screw Ecoboost, 3.55 gears, 402A package (which includes Tow Package)

This is what I want to Tow

1700# Trailer w/ electric brakes
3200# Car on Trailer
Approx 200# of Camping equipment in the Bed.

I know the Ecoboost and FX4 will tow this all day, HOWEVER my intentions are to install a leveling kit on the truck. It will be the smallest I can find. I just want a 1" or 1.5" levelling kit.

So my questions are as follows.

Should I install Helper Springs in the rear? For my relatively medium load, would they suffice instead of a WDH?

Does anyone make a super mild Leveling Kit for FX4's? I would like to keep "some" rake for towing, but bring the front up a smidge. Best option i've found so far is Bilstein 5100's on the .75" lift setting.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With only 5,000 lbs, I doubt you'll squat much when towing. And if you do a little, shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't bother unless you tow more and do it often. You'd probably be better off to just put on better shocks in the rear than helper springs. Some Bilstein HD's only cost about $80/piece.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Fluffy.

Originally Posted by BigBlueOx
With only 5,000 lbs, I doubt you'll squat much when towing. And if you do a little, shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't bother unless you tow more and do it often. You'd probably be better off to just put on better shocks in the rear than helper springs. Some Bilstein HD's only cost about $80/piece.
Sounds great. I tow around 12 times a rear up into the White Mountains in NH from Boston and back, and I just want to anticipate any issues beforehand.

So maybe I should just drop Bilsteins all around.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

The hitch is only rated for 500# on the ball and 5000# trailer without a WDH. So you'll be right at the non-WDH limits. I tow a 4000# trailer with 500# on the hitch w/o a WDH, and it's fine. You probably will be too, especially since it's not a slab side TT like mine.

And better shocks would be good. The F150 suspension is really soft. THe bilsteins leveling shocks are supposed to be good (1100s?). Kill two birds with one stone. You might want to stiffen the rear a bit more though. Timbrens, RAS, whatever. And I did LT tires too.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by brulaz
The hitch is only rated for 500# on the ball and 5000# trailer without a WDH. So you'll be right at the non-WDH limits. I tow a 4000# trailer with 500# on the hitch w/o a WDH, and it's fine. You probably will be too, especially since it's not a slab side TT like mine.

And better shocks would be good. The F150 suspension is really soft. THe bilsteins leveling shocks are supposed to be good (1100s?). Kill two birds with one stone. You might want to stiffen the rear a bit more though. Timbrens, RAS, whatever. And I did LT tires too.
Bilstein 5100's for the front are the ones that will level you out.

If you're trying to go on the cheaper end, you can get an Autospring leveling kit for $80 and the regular Bilstein HD's (yellow and blue) in the rear for another $160. Even then though, if you're not towing very often, the stock suspension would be just fine. As it is from factory, it's rated for 11,000 lbs with Ecoboost, 3.73 rear diff, and tow package. Which is more than I can legally tow with my regular license, actually.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlueOx
Bilstein 5100's for the front are the ones that will level you out.

That's the one, thanks

If you're trying to go on the cheaper end, you can get an Autospring leveling kit for $80 and the regular Bilstein HD's (yellow and blue) in the rear for another $160. Even then though, if you're not towing very often, the stock suspension would be just fine. As it is from factory, it's rated for 11,000 lbs with Ecoboost, 3.73 rear diff, and tow package. Which is more than I can legally tow with my regular license, actually.
How Ford rates it and what's realistic are two different things in my mind. My payload is over 2000# and tow cap is 11300# but I'd never go close to those without beefing up the suspension somehow.

Sure, you can get away with it if you're only towing/hauling occasionally. And that's what most people do I guess, use their truck for commuting. So Ford has given them a nice, cushy suspension.

But it's only when you get the HD payload option, and all the suspension bits that go with it, that you have a real truck IMHO.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 PM
Fluffy.

Well 500 miles a trip, 12 times a year, means i'm towing the race-car and the extra parts 6,000 miles a year. It's not as much as some, but probably more than 90% of truck owners these days.

I'm not as concerned with cheap as I am about cost effective. For me it all comes down to value for the dollar. I see value in dropping in Bilsteins.

Sounds Like the consensus is to avoid Helper springs, and i don't like the idea of airbags, so 5100's it is.

I've towed for years with my Grand Cherokee, no WDH, and the same load. I'd be shocked if a proper 1/2 ton was actually worse handling than my SUV, so I doubt i need a WDH for this, especially if I added the Bilsteins. If I do, it makes me terribly disappointed in this "truck".
Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by brulaz
How Ford rates it and what's realistic are two different things in my mind. My payload is over 2000# and tow cap is 11300# but I'd never go close to those without beefing up the suspension somehow.

Sure, you can get away with it if you're only towing/hauling occasionally. And that's what most people do I guess, use their truck for commuting. So Ford has given them a nice, cushy suspension.

But it's only when you get the HD payload option, and all the suspension bits that go with it, that you have a real truck IMHO.
Manufacturers used to be worse about what they say their trucks can tow, versus what's actually practical. A couple of years ago ASE standardized towing capacity with it being how much weight a vehicle could tow up a specific grade and be able to maintain a certain speed. I believe this is how all vehicles are rated now.

But you're right, max towing is how much a vehicle can tow, but it's definitely not ideal. Ford did a 24 hour run on a race track (only stopping to switch drivers and add fuel) with the Ecoboost towing the max limit of 11,300 lbs with no modifications to the truck, and the had no problems.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 AM

I don't think Ford has implemented those ASE standards yet. IIRC all the NA manufacturers were planning to in 2013, but then Ford backed out saying they would do it when their next version of the F150 came out.

And do the ASE standards evaluate suspension stiffness at all? But really, suspension stiffness is probably a matter of personal preference as much as safety.

My previous 4x4 (Tacoma) was too stiff when not towing, but great when towing. My new F150 was the opposite. With the mods the F150 now seem to be in the middle somewhere.

Perhaps I should have installed one of those adjustable suspension systems where you can dial in the stiffness you want depending upon load or road conditions. Just not sure how well they really work or how reliable they are.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Graphitebrawler
So I ordered my truck a few weeks ago, and firstly, i'm excited.

This is what I ordered:

2013 FX4 Screw Ecoboost, 3.55 gears, 402A package (which includes Tow Package)

This is what I want to Tow

1700# Trailer w/ electric brakes
3200# Car on Trailer
Approx 200# of Camping equipment in the Bed.

I know the Ecoboost and FX4 will tow this all day, HOWEVER my intentions are to install a leveling kit on the truck. It will be the smallest I can find. I just want a 1" or 1.5" levelling kit.

So my questions are as follows.

Should I install Helper Springs in the rear? For my relatively medium load, would they suffice instead of a WDH?

Does anyone make a super mild Leveling Kit for FX4's? I would like to keep "some" rake for towing, but bring the front up a smidge. Best option i've found so far is Bilstein 5100's on the .75" lift setting.
There has been some comments that the newer rear springs allow for axle wrap on normal take off when loaded. It sounds as if the roadmaster system helps solve the problem.

Quick Reply: Some towing Questions (Leveling kit and WDH)