Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snowplow w/ 2 speed auto transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Snowplow w/ 2 speed auto transfer case

According to the F150 owners manual, Ford does not recommend installing a plow on a 5L F150 with the 2-speed auto transfer case that is standard on the F150 Lariat (also standard on King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited models). Selecting the snow plow prep package on a 500 or 501 Lariat equips the truck with the same electronic shift on the fly transfer case that is standard on XL and XLT models. Does anyone know WHY? Is it merely because plowing in 4A mode might damage the transfer case (or other driveline components)? Local dealer is clueless -- even claims the prep package includes heavier front springs on the F150 (not so on a 150, though on a F250 or 350 the package includes heavier springs).
Old 12-20-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1
According to the F150 owners manual, Ford does not recommend installing a plow on a 5L F150 with the 2-speed auto transfer case that is standard on the F150 Lariat (also standard on King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited models). Selecting the snow plow prep package on a 500 or 501 Lariat equips the truck with the same electronic shift on the fly transfer case that is standard on XL and XLT models. Does anyone know WHY? Is it merely because plowing in 4A mode might damage the transfer case (or other driveline components)? Local dealer is clueless -- even claims the prep package includes heavier front springs on the F150 (not so on a 150, though on a F250 or 350 the package includes heavier springs).

When ya find out, would you let me know?

I have the "snowplow" ready front end on my F150 too.....
Old 12-21-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

It may be because it uses clutch plates to lock the axles together instead of a mechanical lock. It uses the clutches to vary the torque on the fly when in 4a like most awd systems, but then uses the same plates to lock the axles together as far as I know. Maybe they are not confident in the holding strength of the plates in extreme conditions like plowing. Like if your front tires are on snow and the rears are on dry pavement.

Not really sure why though because I think they use the same transfer case in the new raptors with the fancy AWD settings.

Last edited by mass-hole; 12-21-2017 at 02:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mark1 (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by mass-hole
It may be because it uses clutch plates to lock the axles together instead of a mechanical lock. It uses the clutches to vary the torque on the fly when in 4a like most awd systems, but then uses the same plates to lock the axles together as far as I know. Maybe they are not confident in the holding strength of the plates in extreme conditions like plowing. Like if your front tires are on snow and the rears are on dry pavement.

Not really sure why though because I think they use the same transfer case in the new raptors with the fancy AWD settings.
Sounds like a reasonable guess. Thanks. Maybe you're not really such a mass-hole. :-D
My truck won't arrive until late February or early March, so I'll wait until next fall to decide whether or not to hang a plow on it. With proper ballast, most plowing can be done in 2wd. I passed on ordering plow prep package because I want the AWD setting -- especially since the better half will likely be stealing my truck from time to time. The plow (if purchased) will only be used to plow my driveway, plus a few neighbors and friends. Owning a 4x4 with a plow ain't exactly on my bucket list, but it IS something I've wanted for a long time.

Thanks again for the info.
Mark
Old 12-22-2017, 08:54 AM

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Doesn't the plow package come with a higher-capacity front suspension to handle the load of having a plow dangling out in front of the truck? I think that if I were plowing, I'd be inclined to want that.
I'd have to look it up.

Oh, and based on a video that someone linked to, the 4WD auto mode uses the clutches to engage/disengage the front wheels, but in 4-Hi and 4-Lo, it is mechanically locked in the transfer case. I'd get a second opinion on that though. I think that plowing in 4-Auto would be burdensome on the system, as would rock climbing and such. But in Hi, Lo, or 2WD, it would probably be OK. Again, get a second opinion.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:56 AM

Here's the video about the 4WD system in the Raptor, which is very similar to the Lariat which also has a 4-Auto mode...

The following users liked this post:
Mark1 (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=Tom_with_a_Truck;5590585]Doesn't the plow package come with a higher-capacity front suspension to handle the load of having a plow dangling out in front of the truck? I think that if I were plowing, I'd be inclined to want that.

No spring upgrade with the plow package on a 150. Package includes the older electronic shift on the fly transfer case (on the Lariat -- ESOTF is standard on the XL and XLT), plus a plow mode that disconnects certain electric loads and activates a relay to energize the plow.

Last edited by Mark1; 12-22-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom_with_a_Truck
Doesn't the plow package come with a higher-capacity front suspension to handle the load of having a plow dangling out in front of the truck? I think that if I were plowing, I'd be inclined to want that.
It doesn't, because the F-150 is not designed for plowing. If you do any kind of volume plowing, you'll quickly destroy an F-150. Ford has limits on the plow you should put on, which is basically a lightweight blade designed for limited personal use.

People who want to plow commercially should not be buying an F-150. https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...wplow_v1.2.pdf
Old 12-22-2017, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mark1
No spring upgrade with the plow package on a 150. Package includes the older electronic shift on the fly transfer case (on the Lariat -- ESOTF is standard on the XL and XLT), plus a plow mode that disconnects certain electric loads and activates a relay to energize the plow.
Seems inadequate to me. Perhaps that's why Ford says what the post above indicates - that if you want to do a lot of plowing, get a 250 or better.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
It doesn't, because the F-150 is not designed for plowing. If you do any kind of volume plowing, you'll quickly destroy an F-150. Ford has limits on the plow you should put on, which is basically a lightweight blade designed for limited personal use.

People who want to plow commercially should not be buying an F-150. https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...wplow_v1.2.pdf
It looks like there are two FAWR listed for each truck. If the snow plow prep bumps you too the higher FAWR then it would increase the spring rate.

Quick Reply: Snowplow w/ 2 speed auto transfer case