Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snowplow and airflow to radiator

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default snowplow and airflow to radiator

I have a '12 F150 FX4 with a fisher HT Plow for my house and fathers.

I dont drive often with plow on but I have to at times to get to my dads....I dont overheat but ofcourse it blocks airflow to radiator..temp guages are fine but my outside temp guage shows getting warm in there. Looking around for solutions I found this....https://www.plowflowmaster.com/

anyone use this or have other solutions for the issue.......I just want more airflow to the front when driving with it...ive played with the blade angles and height tons and some helps but this would be perfect. i figured I could fab one up to help...just didnt know if anyone else has the issue.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:23 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Ford requires the optional factory snowplow prep package along with 4x4 drivetrain before you can mount a snowplow without voiding the factory warranty. That option is available for SuperDuty pickups, but last time I checked it was not available for F-150.

The official word for a SuperDuty is contained in the "(model year) Super Duty F-Series Trucks Order Guide Supplemental Reference." The summary is "This supplemental contains the ...Snow Plow Application Charts...". The last one I have handy is for the 2004 model, which requires at least the F-250 with 4x4 drivetrain, and for most Ff-250 configurations includes "...maximum 100 pounds of permanently attached hardware/ Maximum 750 lbs. of removeable plow blade and hardware...". For the diesel longbed, it was even less = 680 pounds removeable.

Your Ford dealer can download the current Supplemental Reference and advise you further. But I suspect his reply will be that you cannot mount any sort of a snowplow on an F-150 without voiding the factory warranty.

The problem is the heaviest-duty front GAWR available for an F-150 4x4 is simply not heavy duty enough to handle a snowplow. Way back when, the snowplow prep pkg for an F-250 included front GAWR of 6,000 pounds.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:59 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Airflow is not an issue in the winter time. It is far less of an issue than the grill covers people put on to reduce air flow and bring the vehicle up to temp faster and stay up higher.

Yes you have less air flow with a plow but more than blocking the grill entirely.

I plowed with my own company for 5 years and never even came close to overheating a truck of any kind.

With the cold temps in the winter the fan is more than capable of keeping the coolant temp within spec. I would venture to say that your fan rarely engages in the winter as it is.