Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Tires; M+S = Same?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 04:50 PM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Lightbulb Snow Tires; M+S = Same?

Greetings! Okay - I've lived in Canada all my life, and I'm not 18 y.o. And I realize that the "+S"' following the "M" on a tire means it's for (S)now in addition to (M)ud. And for decades I have made sure that I had WINTER tires -- 90% of the time mounted on steel wheels -- for my vehicles. There are several reasons:

1) winter tires are hella better than A/S tires for traction in snow, and especially for COLD TEMPS, which we enjoy for several months every year.
2) we get a lot of salt dumped on our roads, and it's hard on alloy wheels.
3) there is always an increased risk of sliding into a curb when everything's frozen, and steel wheels -- unlike alloys -- are cheaper to replace, and don't look so bad if slightly damaged.

Anyway - the winter tires I've used have always said M+S. But I've been wondering whether there are simple "S" tires out there. (BTW - where I live we are prohibited from owning studded tires)

Yes - I have 4WD. And yes - I know how to use it, and yes - it reduces the likelihood of getting stuck in snow. But for the people that live in snowy country and change to a winter-specific tire when it gets cold & snowy...do you use/buy M+S tires?
Old 05-06-2019, 06:58 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

There are snow tires and there are M+S tires.

As far as M+S tires, the best ones for for snow are those that have the mountain and snowflake symbol on the sidewall.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:08 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I live in Ottawa (where the snow in my backyard just melted...so we know snow) and snow tires are preferable (I have a set). However I have also used brand new M+S with a 4H and 4A trucks for a winter with absolutely no problems (I was too cheap/lazy to switch to my winter wheels). I just bought some new Michelin Defender M+S tires (I wanted the E ratings for towing) and I plan to run them next winter.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:26 PM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Interesting! Ideally, I would want to select a tire that's (sorta) 85% snow/cold and 15% mud-capable. I wouldn't expect to be dealing with too much mud at the best of times...but in the winter? Probably about zero.

That said, can you guys make a couple of suggestions, please? Defender M+S is one...

Old 05-06-2019, 08:51 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Blizzak are good Snow tires, just don't run them above 45* or they wear quickly. This past winter I ran BF Goodrich Advantage TA Sport LT tires which are severe snow rated all seasons. They have pretty decent snow traction, but not quite as good as a true snow tire as they have a harder rubber compound, and you want a soft compound in snow so they get a good squish and bite in snow and ice.

The BFG I ran are like what you are referring to, but not true snow.

There are the Blizzaks,

Cooper Discoverer true north
Michelin Ice-X
Cooper Evolution Winter
Continental Winter Contact
General Grabber Arctic LT
Falcon Wildpeak

As well as dozens of others, the ones listed have been getting good ratings.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by ronemca
Interesting! Ideally, I would want to select a tire that's (sorta) 85% snow/cold and 15% mud-capable. I wouldn't expect to be dealing with too much mud at the best of times...but in the winter? Probably about zero.

That said, can you guys make a couple of suggestions, please? Defender M+S is one...

These are what you are looking for https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/coop.../p/style/73919 Cooper Discoverer A/TW
Old 05-06-2019, 11:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There don't seem to be too many stud accepting tires anymore. Lots of them are saying "studies technology outperforms studded tires"

I've been running Cooper M+S and then having studs installed (sorry you can't do that). They are a great tire. I too only run in winter and have been pleased with them. They don't get great miles but it's worth it to get through the deep snow and still work well in icy slick roads. I'd run them without studs too if i had to, but they are okay here in Colorado! I just switch to my summer set on this week actually.

Cooper makes a great tire if you don't mind paying for them. Have coopers on all our vehicles and have been pleased.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 255 Likes on 178 Posts

• "M + S" is a designation from the manufacturer. It is not a tested standard so the manufacturer can slap it on any tire they choose regardless of how it performs.
  • The "mountain snow flake" symbol means the tire performs as well or better than a certain reference tires on hard packed snow. The reference tire is a fairly old design snow tire and there are many better snow tires now.
  • The best dedicated snow tires are superior to "M+S" and "mountain snow flake" AT tires in snow and ice. These tires typically have softer more porous rubber and lots of sipes compared to other tires.
  • Modern studded snow tires are just awesome in snow and ice.

I used to have a rear wheel drive Lincoln Mark VIII with studded Blizzaks all around. My favorite thing to do was to pull up next to an all wheel drive car or SUV at a red light, or a jacked up 4x4 with "M + S" tires and then rocket off the line while they sat their spinning all 4 tires. There is no comparison.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:25 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

A true winter tire will have the Mountain and Snowflake symbol on the sidewall. They are for cold winter conditions with specific rubber compounds and siping. Studs always out perform on icy/rutty conditions. Used both studded and unstudded. Studs rule. I've always used studded winter tires. My last two cars did awesome on studs. A '94 T'bird LX with the 4.6. That thing was awful until I put the studded tires on all fours (Cooper Weathermaster STII), and a '91 Tracer LTS 5 speed. That little car went thru everything... My truck is 4x4. I was using my Cooper AT3's for a few winters. They're great tires normally. Not so good in icy/rutty conditions, even in 4x4. So I switched to the Discoverer M+S tires. I decided not to stud because of having 4 wheel drive. Been great thus far.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:06 PM

Studs are great IF your state allows them, many do not, so finding a good tire that works well without studs is the key. I know Blizzaks are great in all snow, but they do not stop on ice! Not many studless tires can, so finding one is key.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires; M+S = Same?