Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Trailer Tow Connector- Actual "Hard" Part, or Software only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Trailer Tow Connector- Actual "Hard" Part, or Software only?

Aloha All,

I apologize if this has been asked before but searching for topics under "Smart Trailer Tow Connector" didn't have the info I'd hoped. I looked under the FORscan sticky as well.

My local dealer has a crank-window/manual locks/"White Plain Jane" '17 Base XL Reg Cab 122" 2.7EB with 3.15 gearing they are virtually trying to give away. The truck has only the 4-pin harness in the rear bumper and the aux trans cooler up front the 2.7EBs get. However, I wasn't able to look under the dash for the TBC provision wiring behind the little cubby to see if it was there.

Research on this board suggests the rest of the Tow Package "hard parts" like the OEM hitch & its mounting brackets, front sway bar, 4/7 harness, bumper plug, and even the TBC can be retrofitted & activated. However, is the Smart Trailer Tow Connector an actual electronic part or module that sends graphic output to the dash screen, or is it software-based only that requires activation, or is it a combination of both?

Thanks very much!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

It has been over a year since I saw the schematics for my 2015 XLT and at my age that means my memory can be faulty. The 12V Aux line and physical TBC all go into a PCM that needs to be activated to function. The trailer lights parallel the existing vehicle lighting. I want to say these are detected regardless of TBC status.

Why don't you talk to the dealer's service department about pulling up the schematics to see? My dealer was more than willing to that for me when I was trying to determine the 12V Aux line electrical characteristics. I had to look at them there at the dealership along with a service writer but I can live with that for the one or two times I might ever need to see them.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

These might help, they're from my 2016.

Don't quote me on it, but I think you may be missing some hardware besides the brake controller on an XL.

Perhaps someone else can shed more light on the issue....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1.pdf (145.7 KB, 366 views)
2.pdf (142.1 KB, 220 views)
3.pdf (124.1 KB, 174 views)
4.pdf (119.8 KB, 189 views)
5.pdf (126.3 KB, 207 views)