Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Trailer Tow Connector and 4 pin flat connector

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 03:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Smart Trailer Tow Connector and 4 pin flat connector

I have a 2018 F-150 Lariat Off Road and it has the Smart Trailer Tow Connector. I bought the 7 pin to 4 Pin adapter and the left turn signal and left brake light doesn't work. I have tried it on 2 trailers and the same issue.

Do I need a special adapter to connect to a trailer with the 4 pin flat connector?

thanks
Old 03-30-2019, 10:15 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by meterman87
I have a 2018 F-150 Lariat Off Road and it has the Smart Trailer Tow Connector. I bought the 7 pin to 4 Pin adapter …
Why did you buy an adapter? Your F-150 already has a 7-pin and 4-pin trailer plug, so you don't need an adapter,

Do I need a special adapter to connect to a trailer with the 4 pin flat connector?
No, just use the 4-pin plug that's right beside the 7-pin plug.

If that doesn't work. check for a blown fuse.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Why did you buy an adapter? Your F-150 already has a 7-pin and 4-pin trailer plug, so you don't need an adapter,

Wow, don’t I feel like a dumba**. I never thought to look. I called a buddy and he just blurted out Harbor Freight has an adapter. I just drove to HF and bought it. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What if the 4 pin works but 7 pin doesn’t?

Hi all,

I have 2019 F150 with the tow package. Only the 4 pin is working. When I try to use the 7 pin for our larger boat, no lights. Done some checking, connecting other trucks, boats and adapters and seems it’s the 7 pin on my truck. Fuses seem ok. Ideas? Thx!
Old 10-23-2023, 03:19 AM

Received 318 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren

All F150's do not have both. My MY22 truck built in Dec 2021 doesn't have the 4 pin plug. Ford gave me an adapter.
gave me an adapter.

My truck has a 12 pin receptacle that is used when using the system to back up a truck and trailer using the dial on the truck's dash. All early trucks came this way. Ford went away from this system and started using a reflector style strip to put on the trailer tongue. I got the reflector strips, but still got the 12 pin receptacle so that's why Ford gave me a 4 pin adapter.
The following users liked this post:
Bullfighter (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 08:45 AM

Received 1,271 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano Crabby
Hi all,

I have 2019 F150 with the tow package. Only the 4 pin is working. When I try to use the 7 pin for our larger boat, no lights. Done some checking, connecting other trucks, boats and adapters and seems it’s the 7 pin on my truck. Fuses seem ok. Ideas? Thx!
I'd crawl under rear end, and plug / unplug connectors. Look at them. Also clean current 7 pin connector. They make electrical contact cleaner, available anywhere, good to have in home cabinet anyways.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All seems fine and clean, will definitely do some extra cleaning and checking. Appreciate the feedback! Thx

Quick Reply: Smart Trailer Tow Connector and 4 pin flat connector