Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Air Suspension Setup

Old 12-31-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 197 Likes on 138 Posts

Default Smart Air Suspension Setup

Hey guys sorry if this isn't the right place for this, I couldn't really find where to put this thread.

I currently have a single path Airlift Smart Air II system with ride control bags on my 2015 F150 but I need to make some changes. I have developed a leak somewhere and the compressor is just slow and loud so I decided I want to upgrade the system. Basically I have two options.

Option #1: Replace the stock compressor with a Viair 450C-IG compressor and run stainless steel braided lines to the air bags. I would also use the Isolated compressor mounts to help quiet the compressor down.

Option #2: Replace stock compressor with a Viari 450C-IG compressor on the isolation mount, have the compressor fill a 2-2.5 gallon air tank and the bags be fed off the tank through stainless steel braided lines.

So the only difference is do I throw in a tank while I'm doing it? My problem is I'm not sure how to run the smart air system off of the tank. Does anyone know if this is possible? I know I can do it other ways like with the remote or whatever but I want to keep it automatic through the smart air system. Also with the air tank what is maintenance like? How often do you have to drain the tank and stuff? Also has anyone ever run the stainless steel braided lines before? Do you get them pre-made to length or do you just coil up the extra line?

Thanks guys. Sorry for all of the questions. I just keep cars for a long time and want to do it right and not look back with regrets.

Mike
Old 12-31-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I don't think the stainless lines are necessary unless you're dealing with a salt corrosion issue. I've installed airbags on 6 trucks over the years and only ever had one leak with the push-in fittings. All three trucks in my signature have Firestone Ride-Rites and they all hold air indefinitely. As to a storage tank, I can't see any added benefit to the system, if anything it'd make the airbags non-progressive. The chamber pressure essentially wouldn't go up as the bags compress, very little anyway.

Last edited by PerryB; 12-31-2018 at 07:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
baxzilla (01-01-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 07:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Roadmaster active suspension.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:09 AM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I put some SLIME in my line after I couldn't figure out where I had a very slow leak. That was over a year ago. I haven't ANY air leaks of ANY kind from my air bags. And I cycle them all the time from 10lbs. to 25lbs. to my current 50lbs. with my truck camper in the bed. I read about the SLIME method on another forum. Worked great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smart Air Suspension Setup