Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slide in camper and boat

Old 09-01-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slide in camper and boat

I just purchased a new 2014 F150 STX 5.0 V8 Super Cab 4x4 (3.55 axel ratio, 145" wheel base). The towing capacity according to the chart as I have read is 7,800 lbs (if I'm wrong please correct me). The max payload is 1830 lbs (again if I'm wrong please correct me). I know most people on here are stating you need a 1 ton pickup to pull a good sized slide in and boat. However I have seen a few that say they have pulled this setup with a 1/2 ton pickup.

My main question is, if I have a 1,600 lbs slide in camper in the bed how much does that take away from the amount I can tow behind at the same time? Does that mean my towing capacity goes down to 6200 lbs or less? Now I know that 6200 lbs or less would include the boat, trailer, passengers, gear etc. So whatever that towing amount left over would be I would probably subtract 1000 lbs for passengers and gear.

Any insight on this set up (slide in camper and boat towed and hauled at the same time) with my 1/2 ton 5.0 V8 F150 would be much appreciated!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Have a look at the sticker in your door trim. There should be one that shows your exact trucks available payload. If you can post that up and the folks here can provide some guidance. It's all about the math of the weights and not wether it's a 1 tonne, 3/4, etc. although a 1600 lbs side in will push the limits. Hoping you have the HD option? Also exact weights of the camper and boat tounge weight will be helpful. These should be actual weights and not brochure.
Attached Thumbnails Slide in camper and boat-image-866861779.jpg  

Last edited by clearnetedm; 09-01-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Rineair
I just purchased a new 2014 F150 STX 5.0 V8 Super Cab 4x4 (3.55 axel ratio, 145" wheel base). The towing capacity according to the chart as I have read is 7,800 lbs (if I'm wrong please correct me). The max payload is 1830 lbs (again if I'm wrong please correct me). I know most people on here are stating you need a 1 ton pickup to pull a good sized slide in and boat. However I have seen a few that say they have pulled this setup with a 1/2 ton pickup.

My main question is, if I have a 1,600 lbs slide in camper in the bed how much does that take away from the amount I can tow behind at the same time? Does that mean my towing capacity goes down to 6200 lbs or less? Now I know that 6200 lbs or less would include the boat, trailer, passengers, gear etc. So whatever that towing amount left over would be I would probably subtract 1000 lbs for passengers and gear.

Any insight on this set up (slide in camper and boat towed and hauled at the same time) with my 1/2 ton 5.0 V8 F150 would be much appreciated!
Well, lets assume that your door sticker actually says 1830lb payload (likely it is less). If your slide in camper weighs 1600lb loaded, you would have 230lb left for passengers, gear and tongue weight. It just is not happening. You won't be able to tow anything because you will be over your GVWR as soon as you hook up if not as soon as you load the camper (and if not, you would probably be over the rear axle rating with just the camper).

You need a 3/4 or 1-ton (and even then you need to watch the payload numbers because some 3/4-ton diesels barely have more payload than our trucks). Anyone carrying a 1600lb camper and towing a boat with an F150 is more than likely well over the weight ratings of their truck. A half ton is not the right tool for this job.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:44 PM

Thank you clearnetedm & 11screw50. Below you will find some pictures I took inside the truck and of the window sticker. I'm not sure if I have the HD tow package or not? Not really sure how to tell. Only thing I saw was on the window sticker it says "trailer tow package". There is definitely a hitch attached to the farm and not a ball on the bumper. I see that my max payload including passengers and gear is 1685, but with these picture below could someone tell me what my max tow capacity is (if I'm reading the first sticker correctly I believe it is 7,350 lbs)? Luckily I haven't purchased the boat or slide in camper yet so suggestions on brands and sizes that could be towed together would be much appreciated! Thanks again guys!

Last edited by Brian Rineair; 09-02-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Thank you clearnetedm & 11screw50. Below you will find some pictures I took inside the truck and of the window sticker. I'm not sure if I have the HD tow package or not? Not really sure how to tell. Only thing I saw was on the window sticker it says "trailer tow package". There is definitely a hitch attached to the farm and not a ball on the bumper. I see that my max payload including passengers and gear is 1685, but with these picture below could someone tell me what my max tow capacity is (if I'm reading the first sticker correctly I believe it is 7,350 lbs)? Luckily I haven't purchased the boat or slide in camper yet so suggestions on brands and sizes that could be towed together would be much appreciated! Thanks again guys!
Great truck you have there. As for options I'm sorry I can offer any. Never really explored the truck camper market. You didn't say how heavy the boat and trailer was? Just a camper alone I'd think you should be looking at a 1200-1400 GVW not dry, maybe? I'd also be looking at air bags and lt tires for a better ride. Note that's just to provide a stiffer ride and won't increase your carry weights.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 PM

The yellow sticker tells the story for you. 1,685lbs. of cargo and passengers. You can load the camper, but that's it. You have nothing left over for the tongue weight of a trailer.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the Palomino truck campers. They have one soft sided model that will get you to under 1,100 lbs worth of camper.

http://www.palominorv.com/ProductInf...specifications

Depending on the length of boat, you could get a 19ft boat and be around 300lbs of tongue weight (I think, I am not a boat guy) leaving you 300lbs worth of payload (passengers, food, wood, camper supplies, dog, kitchen sink, etc.) to be legal. Odds are you are going to be overweight, but with a good set of E rated tires and air bags (or helper springs) you can do it with a half-ton truck. Personally, I would be fine with my combo mentioned above, but others obviously will not be.

Last edited by badercubed; 09-03-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:02 PM

Thank you all again for the info! It all has been very helpful. Again I have neither the camper or boat yet. Because elf that I can make some adjustments to what I'm thinking of doing. I am talking to Phoenix Pop Up Campers as they make custom campers that start with weight below 900 lbs. I'm assuming thats stripped as they customer build their models.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually have a Palomino Bronco 1251 for my F150. Weighs about 1600. I think I have the same wheelbase, super cab with 6.5ft bed. Unless the trailer had a longer tongue, I would need a hitch extension to tow anything. And with that plus the wieght of the camper, I wouldnt tow anything more than 1500lb boat/trailer combo. I know the motor could handle it but its just too much for the rear end to support on a F150.
If you wanted to do the calculations, you need to know the total weight of the camper and find the center of gravity location and use that info to determine how much is on the rear axel, what ever is left over will be the limiting factor on the tongue weight of the boat......I think.
PS, the camper is for sale, PM for more info.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Unless I'm just not seeing it, I don't see a tow package listed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slide in camper and boat