Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shut off automatic trailer activation sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shut off automatic trailer activation sensors?

So, I have a hitch brake light that slides into the hitch and plugs into either the 8 or 4 prong lighting plug ins. When I plug it in, the computer senses that a trailer is hooked up and keeps giving me "trailer connected" and "trailer disconnected" alerts constantly. Does anyone know a way to eliminate this? I've tried all the trailer settings in the dash trailer/towing section and nothing seems to work. And the same thing happens whether it's in the 8 or 4 prong plug in because i've tried them both. I just traveled for an hour and it does it anytime you use a turn signal or step on the brake.

I'd like to keep the light installed when i'm not towing, but the dash alerting me and dinging at me 10 times in a 5 minute ride will not cut it. For a lot applications, the computers on these trucks are more hassle than they are worth.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, JP
New owner of 2019 Ford F150 XLT Off-Road & Sport edition, Ruby Red, 700 miles.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:47 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Welcome to the world of smart trailer connectors! A blessing for those that tow regularly, a sin for those that use... hitch brake lights.

The system is detecting that there is no current on the turn signal wires. You can deal with this by adding resistors between the turn signal wires and ground so the system sees current. Don't have to be high power resistors, as you can drive LED's without getting warnings.

You also need to add a resistor between the clearance marker wire and ground, or you'll get that warning.

Also, the large connector is 7-pin. 8-pin is a European connector.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:28 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Or you can wire the lights directly, bypassing the trailer wiring.

Quick Reply: Shut off automatic trailer activation sensors?