Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show off those leaf springs for science

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Show off those leaf springs for science

Looking at the back of my truck on the 4th, libation in hand, I noticed the left side was noticeably squatting. Took a tape measure to it this morning and it is an inch lower on driver side. Reading though the forum it sounds like a common issue with the tank and mainly driver weight over the years. This left spring looks nearly flat to me and got me wondering what other trucks look like. Google images comes back with less than desirable results so I am asking you guys, what do your leaf packs look like after a few years? The images below are my drivers side on a 2013 Screw with 83k miles.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:08 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

That looks pretty flat man
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (07-06-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 11:16 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Agreed
Old 07-06-2018, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the reply's, I picked up airbags last week thinking it would help the ride quality when towing my 26' #7500 TH. Looks like I have some more work cut out this week.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:44 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

I'm surprised you're not riding on the bump stops to be honest. Do you have a lift or do you tow heavy a lot?

Also, something's up with your tires as well. The outside of that rubber is very worn down and chewed up. You might be running with not enough tire pressure.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:47 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

That seems pretty bad for the 2013. It almost looks like the leaf is bent up over the axle.

Should probably get yourself some custom deaver leafs. Tell them how you use your truck and they will make you a set. Thats what I would be doing at least.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:59 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

I think it's mostly the angle of the photo. Then bump stop is a good 6 inches from the axle. Also it looks like about a 1/8 of an inch clearance between the leaf spring and the helper spring. That's almost the clearance of a new 2013 leaf pack.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
I'm surprised you're not riding on the bump stops to be honest. Do you have a lift or do you tow heavy a lot?
I have a 6 inch RC lift and I tow fairly heavy for long trips. I will go BDS next time but this is what I have for now.

I have neglected all responsibilities today to read forums (it has been awesome) but I concluded I have axle wrapped these leafs to the point of no return. I ordered a three leaf pack (#1900 vs OEM #1500) and have been going back and forth on RAS. I already picked up a set of Rite-Ride's and the wireless onboard compressor but I am not excited about having a rougher ride unloaded. With the ease of installation with the RAS, I picked them up from Nolan at RAS with a forum discount am going to run them on a 1100 miles trip coming up in two weeks with the TH. If I don't like the way it runs, I will have the airbags with me and ill get them installed out on the Oregon Dunes. If the RAS performs as advertised, Ill have a brand new set of airbags for sale in the classifieds in a few weeks lol

Originally Posted by mass-hole
That seems pretty bad for the 2013. It almost looks like the leaf is bent up over the axle.

Should probably get yourself some custom deaver leafs. Tell them how you use your truck and they will make you a set. Thats what I would be doing at least.
I looked at Deaver but I read they are not made for heavy towing. I hope I wasn't lied to on the internet! To be fair though, I only tow around 8k max so it may not be considered "heavy" towing

Last edited by Buckoff; 07-06-2018 at 04:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BlackBoost (07-10-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 05:36 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckoff
I have a 6 inch RC lift and I tow fairly heavy for long trips. I will go BDS next time but this is what I have for now.

I have neglected all responsibilities today to read forums (it has been awesome) but I concluded I have axle wrapped these leafs to the point of no return. I ordered a three leaf pack (#1900 vs OEM #1500) and have been going back and forth on RAS. I already picked up a set of Rite-Ride's and the wireless onboard compressor but I am not excited about having a rougher ride unloaded. With the ease of installation with the RAS, I picked them up from Nolan at RAS with a forum discount am going to run them on a 1100 miles trip coming up in two weeks with the TH. If I don't like the way it runs, I will have the airbags with me and ill get them installed out on the Oregon Dunes. If the RAS performs as advertised, Ill have a brand new set of airbags for sale in the classifieds in a few weeks lol

I looked at Deaver but I read they are not made for heavy towing. I hope I wasn't lied to on the internet! To be fair though, I only tow around 8k max so it may not be considered "heavy" towing
Deaver will make the springs based on your usage. I asked them about using their raptor springs on my truck and told them that I tow a camper and they suggested I have them build a custom spring.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

That is pretty bad for only 80k. Even if you tow heavier. Didn't they shorten the leaf springs on the newer trucks. Wonder if this has any reasoning behind that.

Quick Reply: Show off those leaf springs for science