Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should my truck insurance cover what I am towing

Old 09-28-2015, 04:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Should my truck insurance cover what I am towing

I couldnt really get a straight answer out of Progressive, so figured I'd post a n00b question and see what y'alls policies are covering. Looking to tow my track toy back and forth from the race track and am wondering if I could potentially drop the insurance on the track car. From the sound of it, it's not covered in the event of an at-fault accident, but hearing from others that the insurance should cover whatever I'm towing since it's "connected" to the truck. Is there a clear answer on this?
The following users liked this post:
fsdogs (10-11-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 04:55 PM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

Liability wise yes you are covered, damage wise to your towed car probably not. For instance my boat is covered by a separate policy from my cat but if I hit someone towing the boat with my truck or car, the car insurance pays liability, boat insurance will get hit for damage.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:48 PM
Somethin' Bout a Truck...

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Standard auto policy insurance will NOT cover any contents/property in/on a trailer in the event of an accident. MOST policy will however cover $500-$1000 in damages to the actual trailer itself with it being listed. If you want/need more then you need to insure the trailer itself. If you want coverage for contents/vehicles then again, you need to insure the property itself.

LIABILITY insurance is different and follows the TOW vehicle typically, even if you cause the damage with whatever you're towing.

HTH.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (09-28-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 08:38 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

Yup, that pretty much says it. Under my policy,
Comprehensive - Covers me or a relative. Payable up to 500.00.
The trailer must be being used by me or a relative,
and of course, being used with the insured vehicle. But it must not be owned by me or a relative, and must not be, being used for business.
Under my Liability - Covers me, a relative, or someone with my permission.
The trailer must be designed for use with a passenger vehicle, and being used by the insured vehicle, and not being used for business. I just wanted to state what the policy says in case someone wanted some type of reference.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Liability coverage extends to any towed trailer from the tow vehicle. If you want a comprehensive or collision policy to cover the value of the trailer, that's a separate policy bound to the trailer.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:18 PM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

XCNTRK....is completely correct..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should my truck insurance cover what I am towing