Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

setting up new trailer info

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default setting up new trailer info

I've searched the forum and just plain old Google looking for this info but I'm not finding what I'm looking for. I also went through the owners manual but still didn't find the specifics so here goes - where do I find instructions on how to set up a new trailer in the info center of my F150?

I have a second question and that has to do with charging my TT's battery while towing. I have read different threads about needing to put a fuse in and install a relay before I can actually send a charge to my TT through the 7 pin connector. Is that covered in some part of the owners manual? (some folks infer that on the threads) It also seems that there is a separate trailer towing manual that the dealer would supply. I've searched online for that but the only thing I find is the towing selection guide.

Any help in pointing me at the right info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default youtube video

was looking for the same thing. This is what I found on youtube.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Yeah, a 2011 doesn't have a feature added to the newest models...

On page 36 of your manual. Go to the Off-Road menu, press the right arrow to reach the Trailer Menu, ...

There is no separate trailer towing manual.

Fuse #9 and relay #21 I believe. If the fuse is in there, then you are all set. Many dealers install it before delivery.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:04 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by larry2c
... where do I find instructions on how to set up a new trailer in the info center of my F150?

For my 2012, it's in the "Instrument Cluster" area on page 35 of my Owner's Guide. "Change active trailer - adding a new trailer".

For the trailer battery charging relays, find the fuse diagram for the "power distribution box" in the "Roadside Emergencies" section. That's the "fuse box" that's under the hood, not under the dash. In my User Guide it's on page 332. Positions 9 and 21 are the trailer battery charge relays, and position 17 is the trailer brake controller. If those relays are installed, then your trailer charging pin in the trailer plug should be "hot" when the key is on.

I keep a trailer plug tester in my pickup. Then if I have any problems with lights or brakes or trailer charging not working, I know where to look to replace a relay or fuse.
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...nsha/6562.html

If you used one of those testers, you could tell at a glance whether your battery charging circuit was "hot".
Old 02-25-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks all and I apologize for the slow response time - once again years of faithful service at work are rewarded with the punishment of going to support one of our 3rd world facilities... but I'm not bitter.

So I went out and looked at the power distribution box and there is no fuse or relay in the respective spots. Are these something I can get at a parts store or are they Ford parts (I'm sure the fuse is something I have but not sure about the relay). Also, once the relay & fuse are in, is the wiring for the charging circuit to the trailer fairly stout (like 12 GA)?

The weatherman is forecasting rain starting later today so I'll wait to hook up the trailer and get that set up. I have been using the default trailer setting so I was wondering - if I create a new trailer will it have the default settings to begin with and then I just change the settings I want? I have been pretty happy with the default settings but I think I changed the gain on the ITBC a bit and I'll want to match that. The whole purpose of this is to make it so I can have two trailer settings established so again, thanks to all for the info.

Last edited by larry2c; 02-25-2017 at 11:39 AM.