Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RV dealer recommends different weight bars than Blue Ox's website

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 09:35 PM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RV dealer recommends different weight bars than Blue Ox's website

I pulled the trigger on a RV, a 2017 Hideout 26LHSWE from a local dealer. From what I read on the forum and Blue Ox's website generally it's better to go with heavier bars on the Blue Ox SwayPro then going too light.

The UVW is 5892lbs and the GVWR is 7620lbs so according to Blue Ox where they recommend a bar weight based on 13-15% of the GVWR would be 1066lbs at 14% of GVWR.

The sales guy looked at the dry tongue weight (620 lbs) and recommended I get either a 550lb or 750lb bars. I told him I wanted the 1000lb as per Blue Ox. He thought that was too much but put it on the order sheet. When I went to pick up the sway pro from the parts department I got the same thing from them and buddy behind the counter was very confident in saying 750lb bars would be the right choice. He said we always go to the bars closest to 10% of GVWR. Anyways am I correct in getting the 1000lb bars? And if so why isn't the dealership that sells the trailers giving correct information to have the best towing experience possible?

GVWR of truck is 7050lbs, payload is 1680lbs and GCWR is 17,000 lbs. Rear GAWR is 3800lbs. Truck is a 2015 157" wheel base (6.5 ft box) with max tow package (but still very average payload I know - next go around will be HDPP). I know it's at the upper limit of my trucks GVWR and at about 85% of it GCWR if truck and trailer are both at GVWR.

It will be my first trailer (besides a little tent/pop up trailer), so any advice from guys with more experience is definitely appreciated. TIA

Last edited by Rosey17; 05-18-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:25 AM

Received 1,329 Likes on 797 Posts

Not experienced with the Blue Ox specifically, but generally speaking I agree with your dealer. I'd default to less bar rather than more. If less bar won't do it you can always upgrade later. Keep in mind that going with less bar only means that you have more flexing to get the weight onto your fronts. Too rigid is not a good thing.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts

My sales guy said same thing to me, similar weight trailer but with a E2 hitch.

Who do you think is smarter... a RV sales guy or an engineer at your hitch company?

I politely told him he was incorrect and showed him the email correspondence I had with fastway regarding my hitch. I went with 1000lb bars.

As an added benefit, fastway recommended the 1000lb bars in case I decide to upgrade trailer in the future. I estimate my tongue weight to be around 900.

Check with blue ox. Some bars have a listed range, say 800-1200. Other bars are rated for a specific weight, like mine at 1000.

Lou

Last edited by Sweetlou; 05-19-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like we bought from the same place. I just went through the same thing when we picked up our Grand Design 21 BHE. Tongue weight as weighted at the ball was 550, not including the hitch and spring bar weight. I plan on putting a bike rack on the A-frame, which is an easy 100lbs. Add in all our gear and I would be pushing the 750 limit if not over.

The Blue Ox bars have a 400 lb working range, the bar weight is the high end of the range. I'd stand firm on the bars you want. One thing to note, Blue Ox recommends to turn off the anti-sway feature on Ford trucks, the two systems conflict with each other at times.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:04 AM

Received 1,329 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetlou
My sales guy said same thing to me, similar weight trailer but with a E2 hitch.

Who do you think is smarter... a RV sales guy or an engineer at your hitch company?

I politely told him he was incorrect and showed him the email correspondence I had with fastway regarding my hitch. I went with 1000lb bars.

As an added benefit, fastway recommended the 1000lb bars in case I decide to upgrade trailer in the future. I estimate my tongue weight to be around 900.

Check with blue ox. Some bars have a listed range, say 800-1200. Other bars are rated for a specific weight, like mine at 1000.

Lou
Funny you say that. Curt sent me towards the lighter bars. Regardless, I agree that the hitch manufacturer is the expert to be consulting.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

Blue ox users chains. Get the heavier bars and use less links. If you get the lighter bars and have to use all the links then you are screwed.
The following users liked this post:
untraceable (05-20-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 07:01 PM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds good, I think I'll stick with the heavier 1000lb bars. I have the hitch decided on now just a matter of taking measurements and making sure it is set up correctly.

I pick up the trailer next Saturday - can't come soon enough b/c the more I'm reading on the good ol internet the more I'm starting to question my trailer decision. I know it's getting up there regarding my trucks limits. I guess only way to know will be to take it out for a drive and see how comfortable the tow is.

Anybody have any experience towing a 26ft living space (30ft total length) travel trailer with the newer aluminum F150s?. It will be between 6500 - 7500lbs loaded up when towing for camping. I hear some guys say it'll tow awesome and others having to white knuckle the drive...
Old 05-19-2019, 08:26 PM

Its all about setup. Make sure you take your measurements! My 32ft starcraft 27BHU tows great. I have a HDPP which does help some.

Lou
Old 05-20-2019, 01:46 AM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

Another thing to consider is how the GVWR of the travel trailer comes about.

I find it very interesting that the listed tongue weight of the trailer is exactly GVWR - 7000 pounds. Wanna take a guess at what your axles are rated to carry...

Wait for it....

3500 a piece

Multiplied by 2

Equals 7,000 pounds!

I'm not an engineer, but I'm not stupid either. Start looking at specs on most bumper pull trailers and the tongue weight is somehow calculated by subtracting the axles' rated capacities.

I don't have a Blue-Ox but do own a Husky Centerline TS. It has been a good hitch but I bought it during the purchase of my travel trailer. The bars were rated for 600-800 pounds and since my trailer was 7500 GVWR, those bars were perfect......According to the dealer.

Once loaded, the trailer was terrible. I messed with the bars for a little bit and finally weighed my trailer. The axles came out at 6600 pounds and the tongue was about 850. I stepped up to the 800-1200 bars and it made a world of difference. The bars were stiffer and had to "work" less to do the same job. The truck felt more planted and the trailer tracked batter. My tongue weight was 11.4%.

The right bars DO make a difference.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:46 AM

I never understood the idea of it being bad to have too much bar. If you have 800 tongue weight and 1000 bars, just lower the tension a bit? Either way the ride is tougher when hitched up... how much “more rough” could it be? I’d rather have stronger bars working less than weaker bars working harder. Obviously you want to be close to the correct rating but if I had to err one way or the other, for me it’s to the heavier bar. YMMV.

Lou

Quick Reply: RV dealer recommends different weight bars than Blue Ox's website