Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RoadMaster vs. Supersprings

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:43 AM
2011 Lariat Screw EB

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts
Default RoadMaster vs. Supersprings

Wondering which is better. I hear people rave about the RAS fixing axle wrap, but does it make it stiffer during regular driving? How much difference, in sag, did you see hooking your trailers up before RAS and after?

On the other hand do the SuperSprings fix axle wrap? Sag before and after? Stiff driving?

Just like to hear real life stories.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

A while back somebody asked the same question about Air bags versus RAS. And like that, I don't think you'll find anybody who has done a side-by-side comparison.

But, having just put my RAS on, I can say that, unloaded, the RAS is an improvement: it almost eliminates wheel skip/hop on rough pavement and dramatically reduces sway on corners. I think the bumps are a wee bit more noticeable with the RAS, but the improved handling makes up for it.

With the trailer and more load, I'm sure the bounce and sway will also be dramatically reduced. But I haven't loaded it up yet.

As for SuperSprings, extra leafs and air bags, my guess is they will improve handling and sway but not wheel skip/hop or axle wrap. I suspect you'll feel the bumps more too.

My previous 4x4 had a stiff leaf suspension and was a real neck-jerker on rough pavement but when loaded, it handled well. So I was surprised that the F150 was so comfy to drive. Ford has really designed the suspension for commuters, not regular haulers/towers.

One option is Ford's HD Payload package, but it's not available on all models and is more expensive than RAS. I suspect it's also a rougher ride. RAS seems like a good compromise to me, if you don't need the additional payload spec of Ford's package.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:44 PM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey murf. If you want to check out the ras just stop on by. We can hook up my camper to each truck and see the difference in sag from one to the next. The ride was also improved in my opinion after install. But the e-rated tires with 70psi took care of that.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:56 PM
2011 Lariat Screw EB

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mastertinner
Hey murf. If you want to check out the ras just stop on by. We can hook up my camper to each truck and see the difference in sag from one to the next. The ride was also improved in my opinion after install. But the e-rated tires with 70psi took care of that.

I still have to stop by one day. I'm thinking about going with the RAS system cause hauling the 5th wheel I can definately feel the shudder on take off. I'm working as we speak so that pretty much blows!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

I have the SuperSprings and tow a fiver and am happy with them. However, I have the short bed so no axle wrap and can't speak to that. We know RAS addresses that so it would be my recommendation.

Quick Reply: RoadMaster vs. Supersprings