Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadmaster Active Suspension or Anti Sway bar or add a leaf?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roadmaster Active Suspension or Anti Sway bar or add a leaf?

I have a 2010 Lariat 2wd with a 2" leveling on the front. My truck sits perfectly leveled right now (with nothing in the bed or towing anything) and I want to try to keep it that way. But I also want to get rid of the sway when cornering and wheel hop. I don't tow alot but when I do, I tow a trailer with a 40' lift on it. I can't remember at this time how much it weighs but my truck sags ALOT and my front end lifts up almost 6" with trailer hooked up.
I'm trying to figure out if I would be better off getting the Roadmaster active suspension (and if this would fix the sway issue) Or should I get an anti sway bar and/or add a leaf.
*Does the anti sway bars help with sagging in the rear when towing?
*Does the roadmaster active suspension help with sway and help enough under a large loaded trailer?
*Would a pair of long add a leafs (auto spring) do anything for the sway issue? Or aal & sway bar?

I would like to fix this issue but I don't want the truck to ride like crap either.

I was also thinking about putting on 2" lowering shackles if any of these raise the back end up too much so I can keep the truck leveled like it is now.

If anyone has any experience with these please let me know what you think the best would be for what I'm trying to do.

Thank you
Old 08-24-2013, 01:15 AM

Received 77 Likes on 33 Posts

have you also considered getting a custom leaf pack? companies like ALCAN will build you one specific to your desired ride height, weight, towing, and ride quality.
its a large improvement over the OEM pack
Old 08-24-2013, 07:46 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

The Roadmasters definitely helped with road hop and reduced body roll when cornering. I have mine set at max and it raises the rear by 1".

With the trailer attached, the truck sits level and the Roadmasters provide additional support. But there are times I would like it stiffer to reduce bounce even more. It might be possible to add Timbrens along with the Roadmasters to help when towing, but the bounce is not bad enough for me to try it. (Besides, a WDH might help more.)

Can't comment on the other possibilities, and that's always gonna be a problem as nobody I know of has tried them all in the same truck!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:05 PM

avvblanc01- I really would rather not get custom leafs made for my truck. Thank you for the advice though. I think one of the other options will work better for what I'm looking for.

brulaz- Do you think the RAS will help with sway as much as a rear sway bar?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:09 PM

Here's my truck with the trailer and lift on it.You can see how bad it sags in the rear.
Attached Thumbnails Roadmaster Active Suspension or Anti Sway bar or add a leaf?-photo-3-.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

If the major problem is rear sag with the trailer maybe a load equalizing hitch would help.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cmerollin
brulaz- Do you think the RAS will help with sway as much as a rear sway bar?
RAS does help with body roll, but dunno if better than sway bar as never tried a sway bar. However, the sway bar will not help with wheel hop or stiffen the rear suspension, but RAS does.

And yes, if your tongue weight is over 500#, you will want a WDH to return weight to the front axle. That alone will help your handling and should reduce rear end sag some. But these trucks are designed to carry most of the weight on the rear axle. So when you adjust the WDH, the idea is to reduce the front end lift by 50% (Ford's recommendation) to 100% (others) and not worry about the rear end sag that much.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 AM

brulaz- I think I'm leaning more towards the RAS. Do you think I would have any problems if I put the RAS on with lowering shackles to keep my truck leveled?

I don't haul this trailer that much. I want to fix the sway when taking turns (unloaded too). I was hoping to find something that would fix all my issues.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cmerollin
brulaz- I think I'm leaning more towards the RAS. Do you think I would have any problems if I put the RAS on with lowering shackles to keep my truck leveled?

I don't haul this trailer that much. I want to fix the sway when taking turns (unloaded too). I was hoping to find something that would fix all my issues.
I would give RAS a call. THey are very helpful.

Be sure ask which model of RAS to order as well. I didn't and ended up with the wrong one. But they sent me the right parts for the difference in fee and shipping.
The following users liked this post:
Cmerollin (09-01-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thumbs up RAS install

Order a Roadmaster Active Suspension for the '13 F150 SCREW. Was very easy to install. Hardest part was getting the truck up in the air, putting jack stands underneath it and having the stands high enough for the suspension to drop. Only had 2 nuts to tighten on the u-bolts when connecting to the present leaf springs. After that, all I had to do was tighten the spring nut so either 1 of 2 disks supplied with the kit, slips in between the spring coils.
Raised the truck by about 1/4 inch and eliminated the 2" sag I had when hooked to the 5th wheel.
Still have a smooth ride with and without the 5th wheel hooked up. Also eliminated the axle wrap and shudder I experienced when taking off from a standstill. It also adds an additional 2500 lb capacity to truck.
Easy project for any shade tree mechanic.

From the Roadmaster Active Suspension website http://www.activesuspension.com/:

"Roadmaster Active Suspension kits consist of a set of two very powerful, variable rated, coil springs designed to support and assist rear leaf springs with up to a one ton carrying capacity.Once installed, loaded tension from the eye-to-axle mounted coil tension springs hold the leaf springs in their original designed bowed position. When strain from load or vehicle weight shift is applied to the leaf springs, the stabilizers come into action immediately, absorbing the force of the load. Being variable rated, the greater the strain, the more counter-assistance force from the RAS unit.By introducing a powerful ‘load absorbing‘ spring steel coil system to rear leaf springs, RAS greatly assists the carrying capability of the vehicle as stipulated by the manufacturers. RAS absorbs the load that would otherwise cause bottoming out and thereby provides the benefits of a more level and thus safer ride."

The suspension does not activate until load is placed on the leaf springs, whereas another leaf spring will make the ride harsher because it is active all the time. I am aware of the carrying capacity and load capacity issue. Have load E tires 7 lug rims. Since I could not put airbags on with the Superglide hitch this was my alternative

That's all I know.

Last edited by mark5w; 08-30-2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: added info
The following users liked this post:
wolfy53 (10-03-2014)

Quick Reply: Roadmaster Active Suspension or Anti Sway bar or add a leaf?