Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reversing questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 09:10 PM
2018 F150 XL

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default reversing questions

So the dealer added for me the reverse beeping sensors. To me it looks aftermarket with a little speaker mounted behind the driver side passenger's head.
My question is for the guys who have the factory unit. Do the beeps come in through the audio speakers or is it a separate speaker?
Do you have the option to shut off the beeps if you were backing up lets say to an unknown trailer or with a trailer hooked up? If so how?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Bugsiegel; 04-10-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:18 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

You might get more & better information if you had SOME indication of what vehicle you're talking about in your signature.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:42 AM
2018 F150 XL

Fair enough.
2018 F150 XL
Old 04-10-2019, 01:37 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I just helped a friend pick up a 2018 XLT a couple of days ago, but I don't specifically remember where the park sensor sounds came from. I assume it would be the instrument cluster, since I assume that's the module that monitors the sensors. Yes, there's a cancel button on his dash above the touch-screen. Look in your owner's manual - it should show all the possible dash layouts, and identify the function & operation of every button, control, & indicator on them.

Yes, it sounds like you got an aftermarket system. Possibly this one:

(phone app link)

It should be very easy to add a "kill" switch to the dash; with an indicator to remind you it's disabled, if you want, and if you buy that type of switch. I wouldn't go to the dealer to install it, though - I'd go to a good stereo/alarm shop. Their labor rate is probably lower, and they'll probably do it faster & better. I've worked at a few dealerships, and wiring is not a common skill among general mechanics/technicians. But it's all stereo/alarm installers do, so they tend to do it better. (I also worked at a stereo/alarm shop for a while, and at a starter/alternator/electrical shop.)

BTW
This is your signature:
https://www.f150forum.com/profile.php?do=editsignature
If you put all the truck's details there, you won't have to remember to re-type them every time you need to ask a question, and we won't have to ask & wait, or go looking.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 10:23 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Sound comes through the speakers, mutes radio/calls when the beeps start.

When a trailer with electric brakes is hooked up, no beeps.

Get a pop-up on the display, can hit a button to disable when pushing other trailers, or when tailgate is down.

I think you can also disable the feature in the menu.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:41 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

You got an aftermarket system because the XL isn't pre-wired for that system.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:57 PM
2018 F150 XL

All worked out. just muffled it a little. really don't want to kill it or be able to kill it. I don't tow that often to ever really need to shut it off. In the sport trac the sound had saved me a few times but that truck had no camera.
Had a guy from across the street watch me get into the truck once in Manhattan a few years back. By the time I settled in and put my truck in reverse the beep was a solid whine. I knew no car was parked behind me. Got out to look and the guy across the street positioned him self right behind me hoping I would back into him for a quick claim. I'm sure the beep saved me right there.

Quick Reply: reversing questions