Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacement brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:34 AM
GO BLUE!

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default replacement brakes

looking for some good replacement brakes for towing. I'm going to do pads and rotors and i tow a TT and tractor a descent amount of time. i know there have been threads on this but using the search feature on the app is nauseating. my stockers have served me well as i am approaching 50k with around 10k having a trailor behind me, just looking to replace/upgrade. thanks for any input.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:26 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

power stop Z36 brake kit in the 200-300 dollar range..i jsut went with Z36 towing pads and raybestos OE grade rotors totaling $160ish. been happy thus far.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Stop-K3...3Aford%3Af-150

^ 2011 f150 kit
Old 08-24-2016, 11:07 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

+1 on the Powerstops. Installed them on mine and they work very good with a heavy load, BUT the first couple stops of the day make it seem like the brakes aren't there. Takes more effort to stop, but only the first couple stops, then they are fine the rest of the day. the stopping power vs stock is quite noticeable. I can lock up all 4 wheels when I slam them on, where the stock usually only kicked the ABS on.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

+ 2 on the power stop brakes

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Stop-K6...rds=power+stop
Old 08-26-2016, 02:14 AM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by brown1
looking for some good replacement brakes for towing. I'm going to do pads and rotors and i tow a TT and tractor a descent amount of time. i know there have been threads on this but using the search feature on the app is nauseating. my stockers have served me well as i am approaching 50k with around 10k having a trailor behind me, just looking to replace/upgrade. thanks for any input.
Don't remember what brand they were, and I gave my service records to the new owner, but I put lifetime replacement rotors and pads on my Sport Trac (these were the pricey ones with the integrated hub and speed sensor). The lifetime replacement became valuable as I kept the truck to 191,000 miles and had to pay no parts or labor for multiple replacements. There was no restriction for towing use.

Last edited by Velosprout; 08-26-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to installed powerstop pads on my tow vehicles but the last time I went with the EBC Yellow Stuff pads and OMG, the stopping power is really great. I used them with the oem rotors, no fading, just stopping power.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:54 AM
GO BLUE!

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

i have narrowed it to the powerstops and eline rotors wity ebc pads. doesn't sound like I'll be dissapointed with either.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

before you decide please understand that drilled rotors are not a good thing. some arguments can be made for slotted providing more "bite" but drilled rotors actually are a bad design. each whole is a stress point and does not provide any measurable decrease in temp or any other benefit other than aesthetics.

below is a link to the Engineering Explained channel. but you can also just do some research yourself which is always good.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I had my '96 Impalla it had three brake jobs before 60K miles. None of those were because the brakes were worn out, they were because the front rotors warped. At 61K miles I put power stop drilled and slotted rotors on it. The difference was night and day, even the ex said that and she knew butkis about cars. I didnt even tell her I put performance brakes on it. That brake job lasted 45K when I got rid of the car and they still looked like they had another 40K left in them, I.E. minimal wear. Because of that experience, 38K miles ago I put power stop drilled and slotted roters on my '08 F150(bought used) and felt a difference as soon as i drove it. I now have about 38K on those brakes and they still look new, as far as pad wear goes. I put the front and rear on at the same time even though the rear didn't really need it. There are quite a few things that on a blackboard are proved one way then real world are proved another and I wouldn't hesitate to use these rotors again and highly recomend them to everyone. K-1943-36 front, K-1950-36 rear. Those kits are pads and rotors and were less than $225 an axle when I got them off amazon. The -36 is the heavy duty/towing. There is only one minor complaint, the first couple times, the two stop signs to get out of my neighborhood, I stop every morning they squeak a bit, after that they don't make a sound. I also have two trailers that I tow occasionally, but the heaviest is only 4500lbs loaded.

Last edited by ALTAJAVA; 08-31-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:14 PM
End of the Earth

Received 377 Likes on 287 Posts

FYI, if you order the all the Power Stop Extreme Severe-Duty Truck & Tow parts through RockAuto individually rather than in the kit, it comes out to being like $80-$100 cheaper than the kit from Amazon. Plus there's a 5% off coupon for RockAuto out there as well.

Last edited by Chris's FX4; 08-30-2016 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: replacement brakes