Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Rear sway bar

Have purchased an equilizer sway bar and timbrens so I'm hoping to pick up a hellwig sway bar to hopefully get rid of the wind and semi push/pull. I've read it's helped a lot with others. Would it be advisable to do rear sway before shocks or do the sway after shocks?

Keeping temps under control is another concern but I feel that downshifting is the answer to that for now so basically checking things off the list one by one.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:34 AM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

What are you towing?

With all the current and potential mods, would a more capable towing platform be a better start?
Old 02-04-2019, 05:32 AM

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by waltheraustin
Have purchased an equilizer sway bar and timbrens so I'm hoping to pick up a hellwig sway bar to hopefully get rid of the wind and semi push/pull. I've read it's helped a lot with others. Would it be advisable to do rear sway before shocks or do the sway after shocks?

Keeping temps under control is another concern but I feel that downshifting is the answer to that for now so basically checking things off the list one by one.
not sure what you mean by "equalizer sway bar".
first, Equal-i-zer is a brand of WDH(weight distributing hitch).
second, an anti-sway bar is an add-on to an old tech WDH that usually has chain links.
they are two different things but together, they are used together for towing trailers.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:15 AM

Man, tough crowd

Equilizer is a wdh (weight distribution hitch). Rear sway in my context is referring to a hellwig rear sway bar.

Oh, I have a 3.5 with 2080 lb of payload pulling my 6500lb trailer around. So, I think I'm good with my 2017 with 10 speed. Aluminum body isn't the best for stable towing in winds and interstate.

Last edited by waltheraustin; 02-04-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:03 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

IMO, if they WDH is set up properly you will notice a big difference with your stability. I would give it a shot before purchasing the sway bar. The sway bar will indeed firm up the rear end but the hitch is going to make a bigger difference.

I've noticed the sway bar to be of more help (noticed more difference) when not towing. I would absolutely do the shocks before the sway bar.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by idrive
IMO, if they WDH is set up properly you will notice a big difference with your stability. I would give it a shot before purchasing the sway bar. The sway bar will indeed firm up the rear end but the hitch is going to make a bigger difference.

I've noticed the sway bar to be of more help (noticed more difference) when not towing. I would absolutely do the shocks before the sway bar.
Thanks man!
Old 02-05-2019, 02:31 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

I agree on shocks before sway bars. The stock shocks on these truck's suck.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:52 PM

Thoughts on only replacing rears first then coming back to finish the front?
Old 02-06-2019, 12:26 PM

It looks like I may have enough to get rid of the p rated tires. Would that be the way to go over shocks or rear sway?
Old 02-06-2019, 12:32 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I have done LT tires and the 5100 shocks. If I had to put a number on it, I would say they both had about the same effect. The shocks seemed to help more with porpoising of the front, but I installed LT tires first. If this is an ecoboost, I would stay away from LT tires because they are super heavy and will impact your MPG significantly.

I would do them in this order
Shocks
Sway bar
Tires

Quick Reply: Rear sway bar