Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear suspension upgrade

I have two pics attached. Is the yellow piece the same concept as the black one sold on etrailer? Not sure of the actual name but it I believe it stops the bed from bottoming out. I want to beef up rear for the camper but am wondering if the yellow part from Ford already doest this. Dont want to waste money on redundant part. Just bought my truck and it has the trailer package with upgraded front stabilizer bar so was wondering if this yellow piece is stock or part of the trailer package. Just seems like the bed would need drop quite a bit before the yellow part would help so maybe it has nothing to do with what I am trying to beef up.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:15 PM

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

The yellow part is the factory bump stop. This contacts the axle when the suspension is totally bottomed out. The other one replaces the factory one and will ride on the axle when you have a trailer hooked up. I have not used these. If my trailer tongue is that heavy , I use a weight distribution hitch.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Equalizer

Thank you. Very helpful information. Maybe I will wait on these and see how the truck tows. I do have an Equalizer 4 Way sway bar WD. I am probably overthinking this right now as I am coming from a 2500 HD that only went down an inch when loaded. Maybe I will be okay. Will go on short trip first.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:33 PM

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

I have the timbrens on mine. I like 'em They keep the sag from getting too bad and are out of the way when unloaded.

I was trying to decide between air bags and timbrens/sumo springs. Having had airbags before I did nit want t hassle with airing up and down found the timbrens and decided on those. No Regrets, fire and forget solution.
The following users liked this post:
tdog02 (03-01-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 02:23 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

if the WDH is set up properly and connected properly when hitched up, the truck should remain level and not squat. IT will have to be re-set for your F150 as it's a different truck than your previous. I'd get a good gander at the WDH manual on how to set it up and hitch it up properly to put the load thru the bars.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:21 PM

Received 178 Likes on 125 Posts

I have the timbrens on my truck. They minimize the squat when towing a boat plus some payload in the bed. While I was within the weight limits, the squat was a bit too much for my liking. No WDH on a boat trailer either. The gap from the plate you mount with these to the rubber is much smaller than where the bump stop is to to the axle.

I will note that they work great when loaded up. When I am empty, there can be a stiffer bump when these make contact from not being in contact. Does not happen often, but it is noticeable.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I used SumoSpring Solo. Similar to Timbrens but a little softer. Mine are mounted with a 1" gap so unloaded ride is unaffected. I like them.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...id=20174058635
Old 02-18-2019, 06:29 AM

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Run-n-gun
I used SumoSpring Solo. Similar to Timbrens but a little softer. Mine are mounted with a 1" gap so unloaded ride is unaffected. I like them.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...id=20174058635
Thanks for this information, I will look further into these springs.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maury82
Thanks for this information, I will look further into these springs.

I have a set for sale (SumoSprings), if you decide that's the way you want to go. Only 10000 on them. They are really good for mid sized loads, but I got a bigger travel trailer and a dump trailer that traditional airbags will handle slightly better
Old 02-24-2019, 04:08 PM
Steve O

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the Timbrens on two different half tons and could definitely feel the difference. Keeps truck level and greatly reduced bounce and sway. (Did not use the spacer, so no issues when not loaded).

Quick Reply: Rear suspension upgrade