Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear assistance

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Rear assistance

Hey all. My name is Rob, I have a '13 FX4 (5L, 3.73s, non max tow).

I've gone through a ton of threads on here and haven't come up with an answer.

I recently removed the 1 1/4" block from the rear to level the truck off. However, I do have an 18' open car trailer that I do tow from time to time (total weight with a car on it is around 5500lbs).

I am looking for something to keep the rear from sagging a ton while towing and not raise the rear when unloaded.

Im not sure if I should run airbags or the RAS (not looking to turn this into another one of those threads). I like the concept of both, I am just looking for something that is not going to put the truck back to factory ride height when unloaded.

Can I put the blocks back in, get a set of 2" drop shackles and run a stiff RAS safely? I would be concerned that the $35 ebay special shackles might fail.

Do I leave the blocks out and run airbags?

Is there another option?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a reason that you don't want to go to a weight distribution hitch?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:21 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Yes, for a 5500# trailer with maybe 550-700# tongue weight, Ford recommends a properly set up WDH.

This will return the weight lifted off the front axle and improve your handling. Rear end sag is usually not the problem, these trucks are designed to sag a bit under load. Front end lift is the main problem.

Ford says to use the WDH to reduce front end lift by 50%. If this doesn't reduce the rear end sag enough for you, some hitch manufacturer's suggest a 50-100% reduction of front end lift. So try that, but everybody says not to go any further than 100%.

If still not happy with the rear end sag, there's always RAS, air bags, timbrens, Super Springs, in addition to the WDH. These will help with handling and reduce loaded rear sag, but not re-distribute the weight like a WDH.

I would not recommend RAS as it will lift your rear when unloaded. And to maintain your level I think you would have to inflate airbags when loaded and deflate them when unloaded. Timbrens or Super Springs do nothing to the truck's suspension/level when unloaded so may be more what you're looking for.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses guys.

I am not apposed to anything, and quite honestly I havent even thought about a WDH.

I also only tow a couple times a year, and inflating then deflating airbags isnt that much of an issue to me.

Last edited by RSMerc; 09-04-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear assistance