Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to purchase - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to purchase - need advice

Just joined so this is my first post. I recently sold an '08 F250 6.4 and am looking to replace it with the EB. Trying to decide which package to get based on my towing needs. Other than towing a small single axle utility trailer, the only real towing I do is twice a year when I bring my 5500 lb boat home from the coast ( apprx. 210 miles). So, I want maximum comfort and fuel mileage with occasional towing. How should I get it equipped to accomplish these goals? Thanks
Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Would you want the tow mirrors?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You only asked about towing, comfort and economy. Based on that any info, anything from an XL to a Platinum will tow that boat with no problem. My FX2 with 3.55 gears would haul that boat easily and comfortably.
Now you have to decide what frills you want, to decide your package.
If you are looking at spending the absolute least amount of money possible, you will end up in an XL/XLT, probably. If you like toys and appearances, the FX models can be had from fairly basic to nearly a Platinum. The Lariat seems to be the go-to base truck for people who want rear-view, GPS, heated/AC seats, etc.
The King Ranch is only for people who like the interior leather color.
The Platinum is top of the line.
You just have to decide what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Lariat is probably what I would want. I was more interested in which tow packages would give me the ride/comfort/economy I need.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

When towng my small TT that weighs about 5,000 pounds wet and loaded for the road, my truck is 100 pounds over the GVWR of the truck. Overloaded! So if you don't want to be overloaded with your 5,000-pound boat, then you need more than the stock GVWR.

Two ways to get more than stock GVWR. The Max tow pkg gives you an extra 500 to 600 pounds GVWR, and it includes the telescoping trailer tow mirrors which you probably need for that big boat. To get that, you must order the 3.73 axle rato. Because of the slick boat ramp, you'll also want the optional e-locker rear diff to go with the 3.73 ratio and the max tow pkg.

On the Ford build&price website, choose EcoBoost engine with 3.73 e-locker diff and the sysem will automagically add the max tow pkg with the telescoping trailer tow mirrors and the integrated trailer brake controller, along with the increased GVWR. If you ordered any other ratio, you won't see the max tow pkg as an option.

If you might haul a back seat full of passengers or a load of fish in the bed whentowing, then you'll need the HD payload pkg as well as Max Tow. To get that, you must order the 6.5' or 8' bed as well as the 3.73 limited slip axle. When you select the 3.73 limited slip axle, Ford build&price will automagically add both the max tow and HD payload pkgs. (That's why the 3.73 LS axle sounds so expensive at first glance - it's a lot more than just an LS axle.)
The following users liked this post:
yellow dog (09-11-2012)

Quick Reply: Ready to purchase - need advice