Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on aerodynamics and towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default question on aerodynamics and towing

I upgraded from an Explorer to the F150 so that we could get a little bigger travel trailer when we retire. During the years of towing our current TT with the Explorer I began to feel like wind resistance on the freeway was as much of a challenge as trailer weight was. As we start looking at TT's for the future, I was thinking that maybe one of the new "V" style TT's might offer an advantage.

I'm sure there are a couple dozen aerodynamics engineers out there - what do you folks think? Or maybe just people who have had a regular TT and one with a more aero front end. Thoughts?
Old 10-09-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't know much about TT but I do know about cargo trailers. What size width are you looking at? The total square footage of the front does make a difference to.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Our current TT has just under 55 sqr ft of frontal area and it's sloped towards the rear at about 20 degrees. That's where the question comes from - is that 20 degree slope less resistance than if there was just a perfectly vertical front to the trailer? The Forest River trailer I referred to has an even more aerodynamic appearing front so would that make it tow easier? It seems like it would but how do you get the equivalent square footage numbers or does that even matter with the "arrow" shaped front end?
Old 10-09-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Good question. I'm about to go from a 6x12-6'6" V nose to a 8.5x16-7' V nose. Me thinks the days of zooming around at 80 are over.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

I found over the years trucks I had a cap on versus no cap at least seem to me had less drag at highway speeds.

Quick Reply: question on aerodynamics and towing