Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about mounting a weight distribution hitch

Old 04-29-2015, 06:27 AM
Super user

Received 197 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Question about mounting a weight distribution hitch

While I understand how it mounts, I bought a new trailer, and it looks like it will present a challenge.

Just some info first, the tow vehicle is a 2013 SCREW with a 5.0 & 4x4.

The trailer is a Featherlite 3110, 20 foot, it is a power tilt unit, and it's tongue is boxed aluminum and is 2"x6" which is the main issue. Trailer weight is 2700#.

The car that is going to be put on the trailer is 18 feet long and weighs 4200# and some change.

My dilemma, all the hitches I have found have a saddle that drops on top of the frame (which is an issue, as there is diamond plate welded to the top of the frame, and a tool box that houses the hydraulic pump, battery, and controller) Additionally, the frame is boxed, meaning the other type mount (that is designed for a 2"x4" frame) would have to mount below the top, i.e., I would have to drill a large enough hole for a spacer between the inside and outside of the frame rails.

The hitch I am considering.... http://www.huskytow.com/wp-includes/...-A_HITCH_1.pdf

I guess I am looking for someone with specific Featherlite trailer experience, my local dealer suggested everything except duct tape.....suggestions???
Old 04-29-2015, 08:16 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

You might contact the trailer manufacturer.

But often people have to cut around these types of trailer to get the brackets mounted.

I know Equal-I-Zer brackets would need a clear space around the 2x6 boxed frame, but then would just clamp around the frame, no drilling.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:23 AM
Super user

First, they aren't big enough to go around a 6" frame,make one and third, I would have to cut out the welded on diamond plate on top of the a frame and jack up the tool box......

Suggestions??????
Old 04-29-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Spectragod
First, they aren't big enough to go around a 6" frame,make one and third, I would have to cut out the welded on diamond plate on top of the a frame and jack up the tool box......

Suggestions??????
Er, no.

Their standard bracket supports up to a 6" frame, and you can order longer brackets.

Like I said, some cutting is often necessary for these trailers with any WDH.

Equal-I-Zer web site has some additional suggestions in the FAQ section of their web site.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 AM
Super user

Originally Posted by brulaz
Er, no.

Their standard bracket supports up to a 6" frame, and you can order longer brackets.

Like I said, some cutting is often necessary for these trailers with any WDH.

Equal-I-Zer web site has some additional suggestions in the FAQ section of their web site.
Everything I saw listed suggested a standard 2x4 frame. Would you by chance have a link to said FAQ?

I am not opposed to modifications, I don't want to hve to jack up the tool box 6"
To make this work.... I'll post a picture of the tongue later so it's a little more clear as to why.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:44 AM

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%...patibility.php
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/v-nosetrailers.pdf
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%...i-zer/faqs.php
Old 04-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Super user

Trailer in question.......
Old 04-29-2015, 01:44 PM

What's the distance from the ball to the front of the box?
Think Equal-I-Zer says you can shorten their recommended distance by 5" or so, forget the exact numbers. If that would work, you would have to cut out a small notch in the deck plate on each side.

Nice looking trailer by the way. Especially like the hydraulic disk (?) brakes. Do they work well with Ford's built in controller?

Last edited by brulaz; 04-29-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:19 PM
Super user

25" from the ball to the front of the box, it's looking like I'll have to jack the box up, cut the deck plate in order to install anything.......me felt for.... One of fastway's e2 hitch assemblies, it has shorter bars and may be the answer. I'll wait and see if anyone posts up specific experiences with my model of trailer or the fastway hitch..
Old 04-29-2015, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Spectragod
25" from the ball to the front of the box, it's looking like I'll have to jack the box up, cut the deck plate in order to install anything.......me felt for.... One of fastway's e2 hitch assemblies, it has shorter bars and may be the answer. I'll wait and see if anyone posts up specific experiences with my model of trailer or the fastway hitch..
Yeah, short bars would definitely help. And you probably don't need sway control with a flat bed trailer, just weight distribution and a goodly amount of tongue weight (if the truck has the payload). And it's easy to adjust the TW with a car hauler.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about mounting a weight distribution hitch