Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pro Trailer backup assist questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pro Trailer backup assist questions

I have not tried this yet, I have it but seem to be able to backup
boat to ramp and back up at home without to much issue.
If it was helpfull I want to try it . Anyone have thoughts on the 2017
PTBA ??
Old 03-28-2017, 10:49 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

My 2016 has it, but I've never took the time to set it up.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:06 AM

I have configured mine just for test it on my tent trailer and it's work fine, it's works really well to back up in straight line. Works good to for turn the trailer in the two direction but the only disadvantage is the turning angle that is limited with the pro back up assit if you compare to the turning angle you are able to do if you don't use it.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2016 has it, never used it......the only thing that troubles me is that the truck is backing alone (steering) but it does not check for anything on the side of the truck, it will do some moves and I guess I,ll be looking into my screen paying attention to the rear but what about anything near my fenders ?????
Old 03-28-2017, 11:15 AM

Well I suppose it could turn the front of the truck into something, like a fence post doing wild turns trying to get the trailer positioned correctly.
I have the dealer sending me some of those stickers, I did not find them in the manual. If it would help the wife back me down from close to the ramp
that would be a win.
Right now I have to dock, get trailer get back in boat, load, and she drives it out.

I will experiment in a large parking lot and see what it will do .
Old 03-28-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Recently set it up on my 2016. I use it with my 32' tt and it works like a charm. Be sure to look out your mirrors and at your front end just as if you are steering yourself and there shouldnt be any reason for your nose to hit anything. I just give me screen a quick glance once or twice to see where the hitch is in relation to my bumper. It takes the thought out of having to countersteet when backing your trailer up. Plus the kids think its pretty cool watching the steering wheel move on its own!
Old 03-28-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I think of it the same as the Auto Parking feature. I had it in 3 vehicles, used it exactly one time. Worked perfectly, but by the time I got it setup to find a spot and pull in, I already had it parked.

I might try using it with my RC trailer, but the big trailer I think I will stick to using the mirrors and wheel. Been backing trailers up to 53' long for 30 years, no reason to start using doohickeys at this point, though my wife might find it handy, so will set it up for her to use.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

You guys sound like a bunch of dinosaurs, probably what your fathers sounded like when ABS, and power steering came about.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by oakasrtheshiz
You guys sound like a bunch of dinosaurs, probably what your fathers sounded like when ABS, and power steering came about.

You would be amazed as to how many drivers rear end another vehicle because they hit the brakes hard for the first time. They feel the growl of the abs and release the brake thinking there is a problem with the brakes.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:26 PM

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by msgtord
You would be amazed as to how many drivers rear end another vehicle because they hit the brakes hard for the first time. They feel the growl of the abs and release the brake thinking there is a problem with the brakes.
I rest my case