Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro trailer assist - unable to work with fifth wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Pro trailer assist - unable to work with fifth wheel?

I was disappointed to learn that the Pro Trailer Assist feature isn't compatible with fifth wheels.

Anyone happen to know why or if Ford will push an update to do so?

Even without the ability to "self steer" itself like with a traditional A frame trailer - it'd still be nice to use the **** on the dash to steer the vehicle instead of the steering wheel. As far as I could tell I'm unable to use the **** on the dash to steer with a fifth wheel setup - is this correct?

I am looking at buying a travel trailer early next year so I'm doing all my research now. A big reason I went with the F150 was the towing luxury (vs an Expedition, a step up in size compared to the 2015 Explorer I traded out).

Odds are I'd end up with a traditional travel trailer but the fifth wheels do have more features I'm looking for
Old 10-13-2017, 05:16 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

I don't know, but from what I can see, the Pro Trailer Backup Assist requires a receiver hitch and the trailer plugged into the trailer plug on the back of the F-150. The linked video below shows a "bumper pull" trailer hauling logs, but most log hauling trailers are 5ers or goosenecks. So I suspect the Pro Trailer Backup Assist works with a TT but not with a 5er or goose.
https://secure.ford.com/trucks/f150/.../FMFT1212000H/

However, that should be no problem with your RV trailer. Buy a travel trailer (TT) and tow it with a ProPride hitch and you'll have a rig that will tow as good as any 5er. Yes, I've had both, so that's not an uninformed opinion,

Last edited by smokeywren; 10-13-2017 at 08:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GTA150 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 06:42 PM

Received 347 Likes on 243 Posts

The system uses the backup camera to locate a sticker placed on the trailer tongue, so there's no way for it to work with a fifth wheel.
The following users liked this post:
oakasrtheshiz (10-13-2017)