Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owner's manual "notes" about towing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 221 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Owner's manual "notes" about towing

Hi All,

I have a question. My perception is that we seem to selectively enforce the notes in the owner's manual (see pg 291 and around of the 2018 owner's manual).
  • What about the note that says F150s w/o a "heavy duty tow package" should be limited to 5k lbs? I've seen this mentioned many times on this forum. (Which as an aside, seems to be a typo. Ford doesn't sell a such a package.)
  • What about the note that enforces an upper limit on the trailer frontal area? We don't mention this one much. (Which as an aside, seems to be a typo. 11 ft^2 would be a little north of 3 feet by 3 feet. Surely they mean (11 ft)^2).)

• What about the note that says to reduce GCWR by 2% for every 1k ft above sea level? We don't mention this one much. (This is a huge note to ignore, up the Eisenhower pass, that would reduce the GCWR by 20%!)

Are these "Notes" merely suggestions? Or should we pay attention to all of them with the same force?

Old 03-26-2019, 09:01 AM

Received 1,329 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by kehyler
we seem to selectively enforce
I just love how you worded that. Some literally think they are here to enforce.
The following users liked this post:
13XLTEco (04-14-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 09:34 AM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

OP is right.

Straight from Ford.......

"High Altitude Operation Gasoline engines lose power by 3-4% per 1,000 ft. elevation. To maintain performance, reduce GVWs and GCWs by 2% per 1,000 ft. elevation starting at the 1,000 ft. elevation point."

So for those 12,000ft Colorado MT passes one would need to reduce GCW by 2900 pounds for an otherwise maxed-out for 1000ft elev., towing F150, roughly speaking?

Notice the choice of words used by Ford....."To maintain performance....."
Old 03-26-2019, 10:50 AM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Thumbs up High elevations are great for diesels

Originally Posted by Blackbuzzard
OP is right.

"High Altitude Operation Gasoline engines lose power by 3-4% per 1,000 ft. elevation. To maintain performance, reduce GVWs and GCWs by 2% per 1,000 ft. elevation starting at the 1,000 ft. elevation point."

So for those 12,000ft Colorado MT passes one would need to reduce GCW by 2900 pounds for an otherwise maxed-out for 1000ft elev., towing F150, roughly speaking?

This I concur. This is where the Diesel shines when comes to elevations and of course long hauls and not short trip.../checks retirement date...long way to go...sigh...guess I'll stick to gas and flats for now
Old 03-26-2019, 11:07 AM

Received 3,164 Likes on 2,193 Posts

The third note relates to maintaining the performance you come to expect, namely acceleration. No need to 'enforce'.

The second note relates to wear and tear on the driveline. No need to 'enforce'.

The first note... 'heavy duty tow package" is a generic description for any tow package that is rated higher than the standard setup, which is the bumper without a hitch. The terminology is accurate, and yes, one should not bumper pull more than 5,000 Lbs, as even with one of the tow packages, you are in WDH territory, and you can't WDH with a bumper ball. I'm fairly certain we've been good about 'enforcing' this issue.

Of course, what I don't see as often with towing questions is RTFM! Really, anyone that wants to tow should read the manual of the vehicle they are going to use to tow. Hell, that's the best thing one can do BEFORE going to the internets with questions.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 12:16 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

The Tow Package option for $995 is the Ford Heavy Duty tow package option. Max Tow is the HD tow package option AND 36 gallon tank, and integrated trailer brake controller, and electronic locking axle with 3.55 gears, and a different ratio EPAS. Some confuse the Max Tow as the HD thinking it has upgraded suspension components, but they are the same between options.

Frontal area is one that has to be figured out by a math wiz. Yes the trailer front is tall and wide, but also at angles, so what is the true frontal area?

That one about reducing weight for elevation, that one, hmm, how to interpret that one. If towing to the limit of GCWR, I guess makes sense. But what makes the true GCWR? According to the Ford tow guide my truck would be 17,900, my GCWR when towing over the Ike was 14,4something, so OOPS, guess I was over by 100 something. My bad. oh wait, that was the 2014 with 3.15 gears, so I gues I was WAY over weight for the IKE!! Oh woaisme.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:28 PM

Received 221 Likes on 131 Posts

point.
Originally Posted by Blackbuzzard
OP is right.

In the owner's manual it doesn't mince words,
"Note: For high altitude operation, reduce the gross combined weight by 2% per 1,000 ft (305 m) starting at the 1,000 ft (305 m) elevation point."
"Note: For vehicles equipped with 2.7L and 3.3L engines without a Heavy Duty Towing Package, do not exceed a trailer weight of 5,000 lb (2,268 kg) when using the trailer hitch."

Shouldn't these bear the same weight than in our discourse?
Old 03-26-2019, 06:43 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by kehyler
point.

In the owner's manual it doesn't mince words,
"Note: For high altitude operation, reduce the gross combined weight by 2% per 1,000 ft (305 m) starting at the 1,000 ft (305 m) elevation point."
"Note: For vehicles equipped with 2.7L and 3.3L engines without a Heavy Duty Towing Package, do not exceed a trailer weight of 5,000 lb (2,268 kg) when using the trailer hitch."

Shouldn't these bear the same weight than in our discourse?
Interesting.

I quoted online Ford brochure. Was too lazy to go dig out my manual.

Clearly Ford's language is more forceful in manual than in sales brochure.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:19 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

This is from the owner's manual for my '17. What's interesting is that the header indicates recommended. As opposed to required.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:50 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

The Ford tech writers are not very good. When discussing gasoline engines towing at altitude, they ignore the twin-turbocharged EcoBoost engines. The EcoBoost engines have the same towing limits as a diesel engine. Yes, they lose power as they gain altitude, but then the turbo kicks in and increases fuel consumption (power). Yes, MPG goes into the dumps, but the power to pull the trailer up the mountain is still there. Just pay close attention to coolant and tranny temps and don't overheat anything, and you're good to go.

As to frontal area restrictions, rely on the feel of the rig. With the 3.5L EcoBoost engine you can drag a lot more frontal area up the pass at a higher speed. Or cruise the interstate at the speed limit while towing (assuming your trailer tires are rated for that high a speed). But again, drive by the gauges and don't allow coolant or tranny temps to get too high.

Quick Reply: Owner's manual "notes" about towing