Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oem tbc install

Old 01-06-2019, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oem tbc install

New to the forum (as well as Ford pickups). Bought a new 2018 Super Crew STX 4x4 with the 53b package. After much searching about Ford's TBC installation, I learned quickly that there was an issue with certain F150s involving the fuse and the BJB. Also after much internal screaming and cursing (What? Really, FORD?!, etc.. etc..) I learned that if you have the terminals in the F24 position, but not the fuse, you're still able to get the OEM TBC installed without issue, since the kit comes with the required fuse. Attached is a picture of my BJB and I've circled what I believe to be F24. Can anyone confirm my suspicions here? Am I set to get a TBC installed? My truck came with a pigtail for what I can only assume is an aftermarket TBC, but I don't want that.

Is this F24?
Old 01-06-2019, 09:37 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

yes that is f24 looks like you have pins should be GTG
The following users liked this post:
audiotrax (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by shutt40
yes that is f24 looks like you have pins should be GTG

Thank you, northern neighbor! (insert sigh of relief) I thought for a moment I would be stuck with a 3,000 pound towing limit (state law in Maryland requires trailer brakes above 3,000 pounds.) I may be a bit overdramatic here (more may than not), but I really, really, REALLY did not want to get an aftermarket TBC setup.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:49 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

You can still install the factory ITBC even if you have the no pins in F24. Ford has a modification kit part number JL3Z-14A411-C that adds the power wire and an inline fuse. Just much easier to install if you have the pins already.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:01 AM

So it wasn't as dire a situation as I had expected. Nice to know. Now it's just a matter of not getting gouged on the install. I'd do it myself, but the last time I took apart dash parts I ended up cracking some of it. Not chancing that on my new truck!
Old 01-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Do note that you are still going to need to enable the TBC after installing, either by using Forscan or by having a dealer do it ($$$).
Old 01-07-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Next time just look in the owners manual, it show what fuse does what.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Narly1
Do note that you are still going to need to enable the TBC after installing, either by using Forscan or by having a dealer do it ($$$).
I have no problem letting the dealer have my $$$ to do it. They'll be in there installing the hardware anyway, might as well make sure it all works while they're tooling around in the truck.

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
I did. That's how I found the fuse. My question wasn't so much the location of the fuse (I did however want confirmation that I was correct), but could the TBC be installed with the setup I have. I read through so many forums with conflicting information about this fuse problem that I figured I'd just ask about my particular setup to see if I could get a straight answer.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Some 2018 F-150's were built with a fuse box where the TBC fuse is a dummy slot. I don't know if it was limited the to all/some 53B towing pkg or affected other pkgs as well. If the truck has a dummy fuse slot the only way to add a factory controller is to add the power wire/fuse yourself or via the Ford provided kit.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:12 PM

Seems like Ford started correcting the issue factory-side in June 2018. A lot of trucks manufactured before then had the fuse issue from what I understand. I checked the sticker on my truck and mine was put together October 2018, so it makes sense that I would have the pins while others don't if they did in fact correct it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oem tbc install