Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Electric Brake Controller/7 pin connector question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 06:54 PM
2014 F150 xlt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Electric Brake Controller/7 pin connector question

Hey Yall, I bought an oem brake controller out of a wrecked 2011 F150 from a salvage yard.
I bought my truck used and it didn't come with a hitch. It does however have a 4 way connector.
Today, I installed the brake controller with no issues. According to the manual, every fuse is there for the brake controller...
is there an after market 7 way that yall would recommend and is it possible to get one that can be wired in or is there a plug already in place?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

If you can get the Ford 7/4 pin plug I would. It's a bit more money but there is a plug above the spare that it will plug in to. Also with your brake controller you will need to go to the Ford dealer and get you computer reprogramed to recognize the controller. Do a search and you will find a dozen or so threads on this.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:43 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

What EventHorizon said. You can buy the right plug with wiring harness from the parts department of your Ford dealer. Or if you hate paying for OEM parts, then you can buy a suitable substitute from etrailer.com. Regardless of where you buy the plug, you'll probably have to also add a fuse and relay in the power distribution box (fuse box under the hood). Instructions will come with the OEM plug, but maybe not an aftermarket plug. And yes, the PCM in the F-150 must be flashed to include the software that will recognize the integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC).

But after you get the ITBC properly installed and connected, it works great.

Quick Reply: OEM Electric Brake Controller/7 pin connector question