Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newer truck towing older boat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 04:57 PM
jim

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default newer truck towing older boat?

I just got a 2012 f150 lariat to tow my 21' rinker boat. here's the problem I have; I towed the boat with a 2007 sport trac 4.6l v8 and with not much problem, now the new truck is longer and maybe sits higher than the sport trac, pulls if fine. now the problem is the trailer sits lower with the f150 by about 1 1/2", I have a hitch that's either 2" up or 2" drop so is it better to have the trailer nose higher or lower? now bumps seem to make truck bounce more too, i'm thinking it's because the trailer being lower pull on the truck more, like a teeter totter, if the nose was high it would just rock the trailer... right? I haven't seen any hitches that are 0" setting, do they make any? thanks guys!
Old 04-16-2016, 05:18 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

You are better off towing lower as long as the safety chains and hitch don't hit the ground when you go over uneven terrain. I always select or modify my draw bar to move the ball as close to the truck as possible, often times this involves drilling a new hitch pin hole and an inch either in way in height is not going to matter.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:18 PM
jim

ok, thanks, I found a 2" ball with a 1" taller spacer built right in the ball which may help from Etrailer for about $15.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:30 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Im assuming you are using a 2" receiver hitch Wall Mart, Tractor Supply, Auto Zone or most any auto parts store sell draw bar's with ***** mounted in various heights for around $20 with no waiting.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:05 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

You should check the total boat / trailer weight and the boat trailer tongue weight.
Sometimes the boats may be loaded too far to the back of the boat trailer.
Not enough tongue weight will make the trailer handle poorly.
The boat can be moved forward/back to adjust the tongue weight.
Once you have the tongue weight adjusted properly. the proper height draw bar can be purchased. They come in 1/2" increments.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:40 PM
jim

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
You should check the total boat / trailer weight and the boat trailer tongue weight.
Sometimes the boats may be loaded too far to the back of the boat trailer.
Not enough tongue weight will make the trailer handle poorly.
The boat can be moved forward/back to adjust the tongue weight.
Once you have the tongue weight adjusted properly. the proper height draw bar can be purchased. They come in 1/2" increments.
The weird thing is my 2007 sport track, it rode nice with the same trailer, the set up hasn't changed. The 2012 f150 bounces more than expected.

Quick Reply: newer truck towing older boat?