Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New truck stuck. Being pulled out tomorrow morning. Worried. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New truck stuck. Being pulled out tomorrow morning. Worried. Advice?

I hope this isn't over-posting. I did post this in the off-road section but I'm not sure if there is much activity there and I'm short on time. Posting here as well as it may be more relevant. Thank you.

Hello,

I have a newer 2018 Ford F150 4 x 4 with locking diff. I have purchased some land and they cleared most of the driveway this week. The driveway is about 1,300 feet long and I visited the land tonight. There was some mud but I didn't think I would get stuck. I was wrong.

My technique may have been off but I tried rocking, turning wheels, etc. I didn't drop dropping into lower gears. I had it in 4wd and back and forth with the locking diff. I'm in a tough spot. I called the builder and he said he decided not to drive down it with his Ford because it had rained recently and there was clay/mud making it a mess. Lesson learned.

So he said tomorrow his crew was going to be out working and could simply pull me out with their heavy equipment and chains. This has me worried about scratching the truck, them using a chain and it breaking, where are they going to attach it, etc. Any advice?

It looks like all of their equipment was at the top of the driveway. There are woods all around except for the drive they cut and I don't think they can get around my truck. I have a tow hook on the front and a trailer hitch on the back. I've never pulled anyone out or been pulled out and I'm worried about how this may go tomorrow. I hope to try to get out again without any equipment. They are doing this first thing in the morning as they are there to work, so I don't have much time to buy extra equipment.

I checked with them and they felt like with with their skid equipment and a chain that they would easily pull it out.

If they are approaching my vehicle from the rear and they can't get in front of it, where would they attach a chain so as not to damage it?

Should I go out somewhere tonight and buy a strap instead? Or will their equipment be so strong that I should not worry about it snapping?

I honestly don't think the mud is that thick. The pics look silly to me that the truck couldn't handle it, but there are ruts and it is a wet mess.

Thanks for any advice for this newbie.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:51 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

They can pull you out by the rear hitch with a chain.

Rear locker in 4 Lo should have done it.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
They can pull you out by the rear hitch with a chain.

Rear locker in 4 Lo should have done it.
Thanks for the response.

I didn't think to try it in 4LO so I will try it tomorrow. There is no place for me to easily turn around until I get to the very end of the cleared area, so I think I will need to get through the slop.

Dumb question but if they have a chain, how/where do they attach to the rear hitch so as not to cause damage? I don't understand where it would attach. I've read and seen videos online of people putting a chain or something else around a ball type and it yanks it off and snaps. The videos of knuckleheads online scare the heck out of me that something will snap. with their chain or my truck. Thank you.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:19 PM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

It should work out OK, just be sure you are there early in the AM. From experience in clay-based soil, if the sun comes out in the AM and it quits raining, this rather bad soil will dry out quickly. May only take a quick tug from their equipment to get it unstuck. And, yes 4-low might have made a difference. Use it tomorrow when the crew shows up.. Lesson learned, clay is bad - all it takes is a little rain to turn it into very slick stuff. Been there, done it all....
The following users liked this post:
ramblinmanva (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 10:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Most damage is caused by yanking with a chain . A chain is for steady pulling a heavy duty ****** strap is good for yanking out. Hooking around the ball should be fine . But another way is to take the end of the tow strap and feed it in to the receiver hitch and slide the pin back in . As said before next time try lowRange and don’t be scared to get on the gas when forward moment slows. The tires have to clean out to grab. In high range the traction control kicks in and will get you stuck in mud .
i know it does not make sense but traction control is not for mud it is for snow or wet pavement . You can turn it off and use high range but it turns itself back on at 30 mph and if you are spinning a lot you will be going 5 mph but your tires 30 mph.
it take practice to figure it out don’t let this scare u .
Old 04-27-2018, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by fang2015
It should work out OK, just be sure you are there early in the AM. From experience in clay-based soil, if the sun comes out in the AM and it quits raining, this rather bad soil will dry out quickly. May only take a quick tug from their equipment to get it unstuck. And, yes 4-low might have made a difference. Use it tomorrow when the crew shows up.. Lesson learned, clay is bad - all it takes is a little rain to turn it into very slick stuff. Been there, done it all....
10-4. Thanks for the good info. They said they are getting there at 8am tomorrow. I think I may try to arrive around 7:30am to see if I can get this out on my own using 4LO. I guess I should do 4LO, lock the rear diff, and turn off traction control, for max approach? It is clay-based stuff and was a mess. My problem is that they have the path lined with downed trees on each side and I'm afraid I will slide into them if I don't adequately control it. If they pull me out, that's a long 1,300 foot pull where I'll be very scared they will do some damage. Would prefer to get it turned around at least but I'm not sure I can do it. I don't think I could get out of there all in reverse on my own as the last part of it is up a slight incline (that is muddy as well).

The area is surrounded by trees except for the 1,300 foot path they cleared. With where the sun rises, and with the remaining trees, I don't see much sun hitting that spot until late afternoon.

Appreciate the info.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:39 PM

Good points. Steady on any kind of pulling chain/tow rope at first, but it may take a good deal of hard pulling too. Depending on your rear tow hitch, be careful to not put too much on that ball - try to leverage it if you can. One thing that comes to mind, read your owners' manual and be sure you know the procedure for engaging 4-low. And hopefully it will go there without a pull forward command to activate. Hope the truck isn't truly mired in mud and trees. Good luck and let us hear..........
Old 04-27-2018, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Storeman
Most damage is caused by yanking with a chain . A chain is for steady pulling a heavy duty ****** strap is good for yanking out. Hooking around the ball should be fine . But another way is to take the end of the tow strap and feed it in to the receiver hitch and slide the pin back in . As said before next time try lowRange and don’t be scared to get on the gas when forward moment slows. The tires have to clean out to grab. In high range the traction control kicks in and will get you stuck in mud .
i know it does not make sense but traction control is not for mud it is for snow or wet pavement . You can turn it off and use high range but it turns itself back on at 30 mph and if you are spinning a lot you will be going 5 mph but your tires 30 mph.
it take practice to figure it out don’t let this scare u .
Thanks for the info. I don't have a ball on the back, if I understand correctly. I've read online and seen videos of people snapping but I may misunderstand. I do have a receiver hitch so it sounds like the other method you mentioned is what we should do. I guess nothing will be pulled out if they go that route.

Will definitely try the low range and cut off the trac control. I need to be careful because there are downed trees on each side and I don't want to slide into them by getting too aggressive.

Thanks for the response.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:47 PM

Do you have tire chains? Might make the difference in truck damage and not. These latest F-150's only seem to be able to use cable chains based on my 2013, so be careful with heavy duty chains. Not a lot of clearance. Odds of cleaning out your tires from this muck quickly are not good. Imagine you already know to prepare in the AM to get really dirty - take a plastic tarp.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:06 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Letting air out of the tires will gain some traction. It's a common short-term fix to get out of a bind. Have a plan for refilling once you get out. Surprised you didn't try 4LO. That's what it's for. When else would you use it?

If you take some strapping with you you can rig it up to give them a preferred pulling point. Have it ready to attach and they can just hook it up. Otherwise you'll end up watching them make their best guesses on what to attach to. I had a guy move my car with a fork truck once because he needed to get past it. Heavy equipment operators aren't generally concerned with the small dings and dents.

Quick Reply: New truck stuck. Being pulled out tomorrow morning. Worried. Advice?