Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New purchase - What do I need to maximize towing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New purchase - What do I need to maximize towing?

Hi,

New to the forum and hoping to buy new (2015) to use as a tow vehicle for a travel trailer. I'm leaning toward the the F-150 over the Tundra because it has comparable towing capabilities but much better fuel economy.

The trailer is only 6000lbs but I'd like to get the F-150 with maximum towing capabilities in case we get a bigger trailer someday.

I don't need any frills, but I do want 4WD and need crew cab, so I'm looking at the XL trimline short bed and am hoping to pay only for additional options that would support towing.

Question 1: If I get the "Maximum Tow Package" are there any other options I would possibly want for towing? From what I can tell from the online configuration tools, the Max Tow package configurations automatically set the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost, hitch, transmission cooler, brake controller, etc ... but I don't see tow mirrors on the list. Are tow mirrors included in the Max Tow Package?

Question 2: What axle ratio do I want to optimize for towing? The online configurator sets it to 3.73 when I select Max Towing, so I'm assuming that's the ideal for towing.

Thanks for any information. Looking forward to becoming an F-150 owner.

- Dave
Old 08-24-2015, 07:51 AM

Received 194 Likes on 118 Posts

As for Question 2. The gear set with the Max Tow option is 3.55. When you select the Heavy Duty Payload option the max tow equipment is included but the gear set goes down to 3.73. You would need to move up to the 6.5' bed for the HD Payload option.

Will you be towing in the mountains? The 3.73 would be the better choice if so.

Tow mirrors are not included with max tow but they are an option.

Last edited by 13.; 08-24-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Both questions asked, and answered, often.

"What do I need to do to maximize towing"? - Read this section of the forum. Understand very clearly PAYLOAD, which cannot be increased, and the limits of your truck with and without a WDH (over 5,000 pounds you have to use one). Understand the difference between 2015 and prior years as far as standard configurations with various tow packages, and what each includes, and the reality that you cannot buy a new 2015 with a HD Payload. None were made, none will be made, you have to order a 2016. https://www.f150forum.com/f118/ford-...ayload-303820/
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
BCMIF150 (08-24-2015), TemeculaDave (08-27-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 13.
As for Question 2. The gear set with the Max Tow option is 3.55. When you select the Heavy Duty Payload option the max tow equipment is included but the gear set goes down to 3.73. ....
You got that backwards don't you? The 3.73 gear set is included with the Max Tow package.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by TemeculaDave
Question 1: If I get the "Maximum Tow Package" are there any other options I would possibly want for towing?
Yes, definitely. Max tow increases GCWR and tow rating, but that's not your limiter. Payload capacity is your limiter. So to get the max tow capability, you want to increase payload. So that means you want the HD Payload Package. But you said you want a shorty bed, and the HD Payload pkg is not available with the shorty bed. So you have to decide if you want to tow the heaviest trailer or have the dinky little shorty bed.

From what I can tell from the online configuration tools, the Max Tow package configurations automatically set the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost, hitch, transmission cooler, brake controller, etc ... but I don't see tow mirrors on the list. Are tow mirrors included in the Max Tow Package?

No. That was a change from the 2014 model when the max tow pkg included tow mirrors. But tow mirrors are now a stand-alone option, so be sure to order them.

Question 2: What axle ratio do I want to optimize for towing? The online configurator sets it to 3.73 when I select Max Towing, so I'm assuming that's the ideal for towing.

Stick with the 3.73 ratio. With a SuperCrew 4x4 with max tow but without HD Payload, you can probably tow a TT that grosses up to about 6,000 pounds - maybe a bit more without exceeding payload limits, if you are careful with people, pets, toolbox and other stuff weight added into the F-150. But if you add the HD Payload pkg to that F-150, then your real-world max gross trailer weight goes up to around 10,000 pounds. (Ignore the over-11,000 pounds tow rating, which assumes nothing but a skinny driver in the truck that has no options not required to achieve the tow rating.

XL trim doesn't have to mean a cheap-looking fleet work truck. There are two trim levels, base (100A) and mid-level (101A).

The XL 101A trim pkg adds cruise control and the power equipment group (power windows, door locks, mirrors). And a few minor things such as SYNC and a CD player and the "productivity screen" in the dash

Options available with the XL 101A trim pkg include

♦ Cloth seats from the XLT

♦ 18" alloy wheels with LT tires as part of the HD Payload Pkg.

An XL SuperCrew 4x4 with those options would be a mighty nice tow vehicle. I wouldn't want an F-150 with the base XL 100A trim pkg and plastic seats with no cruise control or power windows/door locks, but the 101A trim pkg plus cloth seats and 18" alloy wheels changes the rig from a cheap work truck to a nice RV tow vehicle.

Last edited by smokeywren; 08-28-2015 at 10:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TemeculaDave (08-27-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 02:50 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by schmenke
You got that backwards don't you? The 3.73 gear set is included with the Max Tow package.

No. Per the 11/01/2014 ORDER GUIDE For 2015 model year, Max tow includes 3.55 e-locker diff. HD Payload includes 3.73 e-locker diff. That might have changed for later order guides or for 2016.

Last edited by smokeywren; 08-24-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:03 PM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
No. Per the 11/01/2014 ORDER GUIDE For 2015 model year, Max tow includes 3.55 e-locker diff. HD Payload includes 3.73 e-locker diff. That might have changed for later order guides or for 2016.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. So that's a change for the '15 models then (I guess aluminum makes a difference ).
Old 08-25-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 194 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by schmenke
Ah, thanks for the clarification. So that's a change for the '15 models then (I guess aluminum makes a difference ).
Yeah. I would have much rather gone with 3.73 in a 9.75" over the 3.55 but apparently the HD package is a unicorn for '15 and I couldn't wait for a '16.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the information. Very generous community here!

Seems that the new purchasing process is more complicated than I expected, especially at the end of a model year.

smokeywren makes an excellent point: It's actually payload that's probably going to be my limiting factor. I weighed our trailer at a local scale and the tounge weight was was 780 lbs(way more than the mfr told us it would be btw...) With 3 growing kids and a dog, I've calculated that we could have nearly 800lbs of bodies in the truck after a few years. It doesn't leave much room for any toys or supplies in the bed.

Now I'm thinking of picking up a used 250. I never expected to need a super duty for this trailer but I'm liking the idea of just not having to worry about the weight limits when we camp.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:35 AM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

The new 2016 F150 order guide announces that the Heavy Duty Payload Package will be late availability....again.

Quick Reply: New purchase - What do I need to maximize towing?