Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to buy a hitch

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to buy a hitch

So my truck has a ball on the bumper. I'd like to buy a hitch. I have a 98 f150 xlt. I have a spare tire under the bed. My tires are bigger than standard. I forget the size. Do I need to worry about that when hitch shopping? Also what hitch should I get?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 2000 xlt and the frame was kind of rusted out so I just got a tiny trailer and used the ball on the bumper I just couldn't see having peace of mind bolting on a receiver hitch and getting a brake controller. You didn't put a location so maybe you are in a no salt or ice melting chemical area. The frame finally did (eventually) break between the rear spring hanger and the axle on the drivers side.

Depending on what engine, rear end ratio and perhaps other stuff you look up in the manual to figure out what you can safely tow in new condition. I thought my 2000 with the rear end it had was good for 7000 pounds but am confused/wonder, if you wander around here about the new ones and 5000 ratings unless you get some tow package.

http://www.etrailer.com/ if you don't want to go to a big place that pretty much only sells trailers. I think you put in your vehicle and it shows what they stock. They have helpful little videos at least for stuff I have been looking for.

About lager tires don't know for sure but probably should de rate proportional to the circumference difference.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm just towing my 14ft jon boat. nothing heavy. i need the extra clearance that the hitch will give me away from the truck.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After you get the hitch on then you worry about the rise or drop to the place you attach the ball so the trailer is level. If you don't want a rise or drop the three (or other combination of hooks and *****) ball shanks are the only way to get that I found.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just went to my local junk yard and bought one in good shape for 60 bucks. Bolted right on, spare fits, and looks good. It has held quite a bit of weight with no problem too. Easiest solution, especially if your only pulling a john boat.

Quick Reply: Need to buy a hitch