Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice towing a boat with a 2013 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Need advice towing a boat with a 2013 5.0

Hello All:

I have my first new truck. And Im getting ready to tow an 18' fiberglass boat for the first time. I have a few questions and need some sound advice. The truck has the tow package and the option for controlling the trailer brakes.

Do I need to keep the "tow" setting on at all times? What is my top speed on the highway? Can I use cruise control?

Appreciate any advice with your experience.

Thanks in advance,
JD
Old 08-28-2013, 02:05 PM
ColdWar Vet-USN Shellback

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

"Tow Haul" setting will allow the auto tranny to hold a gear a little longer so it will not keep hunting as much while towing. Helps tranny life.
Top speed is what ever the rating of the trailer tires are. If they are ST tires it will have the sidewall marked at max psi and max speed (usually 65mph). Inflate up to the max and don't drive over for very long at all.
You can use cruise control and if you don't like the truck downshifting much at small hills just push cancel and foot throttle over the hill and resume out on the flats.
When hauling my camper I usually use the cruise only on the flats or slight inclines/declines. I click cancel when coming to hills and feather the throttle loosing some speed going up so it doesn't downshift. Likewise, I don't like the cruise on the down hill side of hills because it tries to downshift to keep the speed down to its set point, where I like to let it roll some allowing speed for the next hill if close enough.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Tires are Goodyear Wrangler S/A P275/65r18, Rims are 18x7.5 OEM Chrome Clad. 6 on 135. Not sure about the tow rating. I'll play it safe and cruise at 65MPH.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you shouldnt have any issues towing a boat that size I doubt you would even know its back there. I towed a 24' behind my 04 4.6L xlt without any trailer brakes for a year before I had the surge brakes on the trailer fixed and I didnt have any issues. as far as the tow/haul button and cruise I agree with the previous post above
Old 08-28-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake's Dad
Hello All:

I have my first new truck. And Im getting ready to tow an 18' fiberglass boat for the first time. I have a few questions and need some sound advice. The truck has the tow package and the option for controlling the trailer brakes.

Do I need to keep the "tow" setting on at all times? What is my top speed on the highway? Can I use cruise control?

Appreciate any advice with your experience.

Thanks in advance,
JD
Congrats on your first new truck! I pull my 26 ft center console with my 13 5.0. You won't have any problems whatsoever. You can certainly use tow haul and I would if you don't have trailer brakes or if you're going to do a lot of stop and go driving while towing it. I also use cruise at times but my preference is not to use cruise but to tow with the manual setting so I can choose gears. Just a personal preference.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:51 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

being a boat trailer it most likely will not have electric trailer brakes [They don't work well under water] so the brake controller is a mute point. depending on the weight of the boat and trailer it may have surge brakes or in extreme cases a electric over hydraulic set up which does require a controller but they are rare on a boat of this size.
Keep in mind if the trailer does not have electric brakes the OEM brake controller and the truck will not know there is a trailer conected. You should have no trouble just mind your speed and drive defensive. Enjoy
Old 08-28-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Does your trailer have a 4 or 5 wire flat plug. If it has 5, it has a reverse lockout solenoid so the disc brakes on the trailer won't work in reverse. A piece of advise (guess how I found this out) if you have a canvas top, boat tops are okay around town, but take it down if you're towing on the freeway.....
Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
being a boat trailer it most likely will not have electric trailer brakes [They don't work well under water] so the brake controller is a mute point. depending on the weight of the boat and trailer it may have surge brakes or in extreme cases a electric over hydraulic set up which does require a controller but they are rare on a boat of this size.
Keep in mind if the trailer does not have electric brakes the OEM brake controller and the truck will not know there is a trailer conected. You should have no trouble just mind your speed and drive defensive. Enjoy
Right. Even that big cc I have has surge brakes
Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed with everything else posted so far. I have a 20' bow rider on a tandem axle trailer. I have the ecoboost, but I'm sure the 5.0 will pull your boat like a rag doll.

I use the tow haul settings. This will downshift going down grades, which I really appreciate. I also use cruise control. This truck pulls so well, my heavy foot will EASILY pull the boat up to 80mph and beyond. Obviously, not what it's designed to do. So, cruise helps me behave.

A couple other bits of advice.

-Practice backing up
I take my wife to a nearby school so she can practice backing up the boat. Better to practice backing the boat up (like you would down the ramp) somewhere where you won't be holding up others. Since it's a shorter boat, it may not back up as easily as longer trailers.

-Make sure it's tied down
When I first got my boat, it was only held on the trailer by the winch strap and bow chain. It didn't have any transom straps. Out of caution, I put a couple of rachet straps on the transom. Sure enough, the winch strap broke on the way home. Ever since then, I've made sure the boat is WELL strapped down.

-Make sure the trailer is ready
You didn't mention anything about the condition of your trailer. If you already know this, I apologize, but I'm sure I'm not the only one to suggest to make sure your trailer is ready. Make sure your bearings are packed, lights are working properly and brakes are working right. If you boat is salt water, a trailer really catches heck. If you have BoatUS, do yourself a favor and fork over the extra $14 for the Trailer Assist. I had to have my trailer and boat towed at the beginning of this season... would have cost me a lot if I hadn't had the Trailer Assist.

Hope these tips help. I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by gn85
Agreed with everything else posted so far. I have a 20' bow rider on a tandem axle trailer. I have the ecoboost, but I'm sure the 5.0 will pull your boat like a rag doll.

I use the tow haul settings. This will downshift going down grades, which I really appreciate. I also use cruise control. This truck pulls so well, my heavy foot will EASILY pull the boat up to 80mph and beyond. Obviously, not what it's designed to do. So, cruise helps me behave.

A couple other bits of advice.

-Practice backing up
I take my wife to a nearby school so she can practice backing up the boat. Better to practice backing the boat up (like you would down the ramp) somewhere where you won't be holding up others. Since it's a shorter boat, it may not back up as easily as longer trailers.

-Make sure it's tied down
When I first got my boat, it was only held on the trailer by the winch strap and bow chain. It didn't have any transom straps. Out of caution, I put a couple of rachet straps on the transom. Sure enough, the winch strap broke on the way home. Ever since then, I've made sure the boat is WELL strapped down.

-Make sure the trailer is ready
You didn't mention anything about the condition of your trailer. If you already know this, I apologize, but I'm sure I'm not the only one to suggest to make sure your trailer is ready. Make sure your bearings are packed, lights are working properly and brakes are working right. If you boat is salt water, a trailer really catches heck. If you have BoatUS, do yourself a favor and fork over the extra $14 for the Trailer Assist. I had to have my trailer and boat towed at the beginning of this season... would have cost me a lot if I hadn't had the Trailer Assist.

Hope these tips help. I'm sure others will chime in.
Great advice. And make sure that the transom is untied when you launch it

Quick Reply: Need advice towing a boat with a 2013 5.0