Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for pulling out bushes

Old 10-17-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need advice for pulling out bushes

I have a few bushes I need to make quick work out of. I saw one thread and a few other posts here about someone who pulled some bushes out with their truck. I have a 2016 2.7L EcoBoost with the towing package and 4x4. Should I be able to do this without putting too much stress on the truck?

If so... what kind of strap should I get? Should I get a hitch insert with a shackle and attach the strap to that, or would the tow hooks on the front work ok for this? Any other advice?
Attached Thumbnails Need advice for pulling out bushes-2016-10-16-18.05.24.jpg   Need advice for pulling out bushes-2016-10-16-18.05.16.jpg  
Old 10-17-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

A setup like a logging choker cable works best. Anything else will slip off. You might be able to get by with a garage door spring safety cable.

Also, give the root ball a good soaking to loosen the soil.
The following users liked this post:
sndrsk (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 07:34 AM

Received 5,988 Likes on 3,552 Posts

I have done this hundreds of times. Bushes, brush, trees...

You don't want to use the front hooks unless you don't care if they get gouged up. Plus, pulling forwards is easier than pulling backwards.

I bought a Smittybilt 29312B Receiver Hitch D-Ring with 3/4-Inch Shackle for 2-Inch Receivers and a second Smittybilt 13047B 3/4" Black D-Ring. I already had a tow strap and a chain.

You want to buy a tow strap, not a recovery strap. Recovery straps stretch so that you can pull a vehicle out, and that driver has brakes to stop the vehicle. You don't want a root ball shooting through the air...

Dig around the root ball, make sure you sever all roots. You would be amazed how a root can hold a big truck pulling hard. Some plants have a big root that goes straight down.

If you use just a tow strap, it will get mangled as it tightens around the root ball. I use the strap connected to a length of chain that is wrapped around the root ball. Chain gets cinched around the root ball and uses a slip hook to hold tight. other end gets hooked to the strap loop (Slip hook on one end, regular hook on the other).

The tow strap should have no hooks on it, just a strap. Secure one end on the truck, the other end on the chain. Lay a blanket over the strap, and ensure that no one is anywhere near where a broken strap may shoot (they should be on the other side of the stump).

Open your windows, have them give you instruction. Put it in 4x4, low, and use your e-locker if you have it. Pull slowly and it will come right out.

Here is a sample of a chain, or you can make one buying the hooks (make sure they can handle 10,000 pounds or more) and chain at your Home Depot / Lowe's. Make sure the strap is rated for 20,000 pounds or more.

Chain - 14' log chain

Strap - 30 feet by 4 inch tow strap
sndrsk (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 07:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

X2 on rickwuhk,

I will add that is also helps to have an axe, I like to put tension on the strap and dig and cut the roots on the back side of the stump. You just have to be careful not hit the chain with the axe. Then you can pull it out more easily. Slow and steady. I personally wouldn't get a "running start" to pull it out. I think that would be higher risk in breaking the strap or chain. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
sndrsk (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Good job, Rick, but one small inconsistency:

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Here is a sample of a chain, or you can make one buying the hooks (make sure they can handle 10,000 pounds or more) and chain at your Home Depot / Lowe's. Make sure the strap is rated for 20,000 pounds or more.

Chain - 14' log chain

That chain is rated for a maximum load of 5,400 pounds. That should be plenty, but then the hooks and tow strap could also have maximum load of anything over 5,400 pounds.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 5,988 Likes on 3,552 Posts

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't even know what my chain is rated at.

The great things about using chains is that if you do it right, and they break, they fall to the ground. Of course the tow strap may not which is why you lay a blanket over it.

I wrap the chain around the root ball, using the slip hook, so that as you pull it tightens further. Sometimes you can simply use the shackle and hook it through the chain, other times I use the shackle and hook it to the chain via the other hook which actually holds a link to be tight.

If a chain like this breaks, you're probably doing something wrong. Normally your tires will spin on the grass and you'll reposition or cut more roots, not be anywhere near the breaking strength. I've rutted out 4 tire marks in the yard before, grass grows back. Once I get any spin I stop.

Remember, this is a SLOW pull. Pull things tight, then step carefully on the gas, and be prepared to stop if your spotter tells you to.

I have had one tree stump that never gave (with my old Explorer before I got the truck). I spent weeks hacking away at it and finally gave up as it had a huge root going straight down. I simply hacked it well below the surface and then buried it.
sndrsk (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 10:22 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

What I did to remove a huge bush is cut most of the limb off. I have a 3" recover strap and when I placed it around the bush, I did so that it looked like the letter P. I also placed it in a manner that as I started to pull on the strap it would cinch up on itself and twist the whole bush

Crude drawing
Old 10-17-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used a 3 inch tow strap on a hitch receiver shackle to pull 5 bushes out this spring but looks like a chain is better for you as there isn't much left to wrap a strap around.

Used 4x4 low and locked diff and 4 of basically came out at idle. Got lazy on the last with digging and had to give it a little gas. I have the 3.5 but doubt you'll have any prob with the 2.7.
sndrsk (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies. I started digging the big one out yesterday to about a foot deep, and cut most of the roots that spread outward. Not sure how deep the roots go otherwise. Not looking forward to digging the rest out before I yank them with the truck.

I didn't want to crack a nut with a sledgehammer, or over-stress the truck after just a few weeks of having it so this sounds like it may work. I heard I'm not supposed to use chains or I might end up with a banged-up tailgate or shattered back window but it sounds like that's not an issue as long as I don't just floor it and yank it.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:49 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

I have been pulling out stuff with my trucks since the '60's. The trucks I used to have were all strictly work trucks, and if I was going anywhere at all not working, the car was the mode of transportation. Today, even with decades of experience there is no way I am going to use my "good" truck" for pulling out any brush. I don't want any scrapes, scratches, or dents. I do pull trees and branches with my 1993 2-wheel drive, but it doesn't have much oomph to pull anything. A tractor with a loader or a skid steer loader is the correct tool for the job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice for pulling out bushes