Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice to pull these type of campers

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice to pull these type of campers

Hello - I'm new to the Ford F150 and campers and have a huge learning curve. With that said, I'm looking into getting both in the near future and need advice as to what F150 would be best to pull these type of campers. In most cases it would be 2 adults and a 70# dog included in the configuration. Apologies in advance for the dumb question. Thanks!

http://www.scamptrailers.com/showroo...uxe_LayoutA_01

https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/sport/ (16 ft)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Both appear to top out at around 3,500. You likely wouldn't notice you were pulling anything.

Single axle is considered lightweight. Another axle means more weight by adding length, slideouts and options. Read and understand your door sticker. You'll find help with that here.

Scamps a made near me. I've seen many over the years. Their appearance hasn't changed much but the internals have improved. The Airstream is a big ticket. It'll hold its value.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

You can easily pull either one with virtually any F150.

Kinda opposite ends of the spectrum there!!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Either one is fine for your truck but I can tell you a tandem axle trailer pulls a bit better. It also is easier to back up. FWIW.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:17 PM

Trying to decide between the 2.7 Ecoboost or 3.5 Ecoboost. And also if there is was a special towing option that should be considered. I know it's not a big camper but trying to be sure I get the right truck to pull this type of camper. There is a chance down the line I could get a bigger camper but nothing too huge.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

Well equipd 3.5 or 5.0 with max tow will do most...
Attached Thumbnails Need advice to pull these type of campers-fb_img_1490743914020.jpg   Need advice to pull these type of campers-fb_img_1490743863616.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Bar01 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:13 PM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I had been towing a 17 foot Casita behind my F150. I recently bought a 19 foot Escape.

Scamps, Casitas, Escapes, basically any of the molded fiberglass trailers hold their value quite well. It took me four hours to sell my 21 year old Casita.

The thing about Scamp is their pull behind trailers top out at 16 feet long. Figure the tongue is 3 feet, that leaves only 13 feet for the tub. In addition, all of the fiberglass trailers are narrower than traditional trailers. Casita tops out at 17 feet long, making for a 14 foot tub +/-.

I got a 19 foot Escape, they also make a 21 foot model. The extra 2 feet means there is a separate dinette from the bed area, a queen size bed, and a somewhat larger kitchen area. We got tired of not having any place to sit without taking the bed up.

New, all of the fiberglass trailer manufacturers have a long backlog. Escape is backed up until next January right now!

The Escape has a double axle by the way. Both the Casita and Scamp are single axles.

All three, Scamp, Escape and Casita are pretty close in price. If cost is no object, check out the Oliver fiberglass trailers. They are really something!

Escape also makes a 17 foot model, which is single axle. If you look at the specifications, you will see quite a difference in the 19 foot over the 17 foot: larger bed, much larger dinette, larger bath. With an F150, I see no reason to not get the 19 over the 17.

Escape pricing is in Canadian dollars, so be sure to do a currency conversion. Also check out their options. Chances are you will get several thousand $$ worth of options. I added up ours (bought used) and it has over $6K in options....

http://escapetrailer.com/trailers/the-19-foot-escape/

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/tra...e/#floor-plans

Last edited by thrifty biil; 03-28-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Bar01 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

On the truck, be sure to get the towing package, complete with a factory brake controller. Well worth the additional cost.

We have a supercab model with a 6.5 foot bed. Realize with any of the small trailers, including the Airstream, storage is limited. So a medium length bed with a topper comes in really handy! The Scamp and Casita both have very, very, limited storage. The Escape is much better in that regard. But still storage is limited, so plan on using the bed of your truck for storage as well.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:17 PM

Thanks Thrifty Bill - this is very helpful. I will check out the Escape. Ideally, would love to get an Airstream but it's a bit out of my price range right now.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:58 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

For the two 16' TTs, the limiter for trailer weight is "3500 pound torsion axle". You don't want to overload the trailer by loading it down so the trailer axle weighs more than 3,500 pounds on a truck scale. 3,500 pounds trailer axle weight will also have about 13% tongue weight (TW), so the max total trailer weight would be 3,500 pounds on the trailer axle plus a max of about 455 pounds TW, for a gross trailer weight of 3,955. That ain't much!

Just about any F-150 engine except the base non-turbocharged V6 will pull those small trailers with no problem. The problem is payload capacity of most F-150s. With a family in the cab and a camper shell with a load of camping stuff in the bed, and the hitch weight of a travel trailer (TT), it's very easy to exceed the payload capacity of most F-150s. So be certain as a minimum you order the towing package, preferably the max tow package, and if you might upgrade to a heavier trailer before you get rid of the truck, then I'd go for the heavy duty payload package (HDPP).

You probably won't find an F-150 with HDPP in stock at any dealer, so plan on ordering one just exactly like you want (and are willing to pay for), then waiting 6 to 8 weeks for delivery.
Bar01 (04-03-2017)