Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Tow

Old 06-01-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Tow

I have a 14 f150 XLT 4x4 screw 5.0
I will be towing a small camper (26' Jayco 4750 lbs dry weight) on a trip out west for a total of about 4500-5000 miles. I do have factory trailer brakes, oil cooler, sway control.
My truck has right at 60k miles on it. I've had the truck about 8 months now and love it.
Any advice on anything I need to do service wise to truck before leaving on the trip?
i feel pretty comfortable but have never towed this far and feel like I'm missing something.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Spare tire and lug nut wrench, cause thats what I alway forget till I see it sitting in the garasge right where I left it. A jack that is tall enough to get the tire off.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 264 Likes on 186 Posts

change the oil with a good 100% synthetic
Old 06-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Hand-pack the wheel bearings on the trailer. Use good wheel-bearing grease. You can use a bearing-packer tool to make the packing easier, but don't rely on just squirting grease gun grease into the bearings. If you don't know exactly how to handpack a wheel bearing, then buy an inexpensive wheel packer tool like this one and follow your the directions that come with it. Mainly be sure all the old grease is replaced by fresh wheel bearing grease.
http://www.tooltopia.com/lisle-34550...intid=LIS34550

I waited too long to repack the wheel bearings on my 5er, and burned up an axle on a long trip. It cost me three days and some big bucks and skinned knuckles to replace that axle.

Last edited by smokeywren; 06-01-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:28 AM
2014 FX4 EcoScrew

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SquareHeadLights
Spare tire and lug nut wrench, cause thats what I alway forget till I see it sitting in the garasge right where I left it. A jack that is tall enough to get the tire off.

^^ THIS - my TT didn't come with any tire changing tools and the ones from my truck did not fit. I carry a torque wrench and the correct sockets / extensions required along with a small bag of general tools.

I did an epic from Houston, TX to north of Toronto last year with my rig - Truck, TT, Canoe, two bikes, kids, etc. We were very lucky and had no issues.

Get the "Allstays" app - you can stay overnight in Cracker Barrels and we really enjoyed it (no Semi trucks allowed - ie. it's quiet).

If there is anything in your setup that is off like your WDH isn't perfect - it will annoy the hell out of you over 5,000 miles. Make sure you're dialed and happy with everything setup wise.

Good luck, safe travels
Old 06-02-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

+1 on the Spare, jack and all tools needed to address a roadside tire emergency. You don't need the wife to ride in the back because the tools are sitting passenger, but you should have them stored in a place where you don't need to unload a truckful of gear to get to.

other than a fresh oil change, the thing I can suggest is a good set of maps. Helps to see the states sometimes when planning routes than just trusting in a gps or phone that may go haywire
Old 06-02-2017, 08:45 AM
2014 FX4 EcoScrew

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by untraceable
+1 on the Spare, jack and all tools needed to address a roadside tire emergency. You don't need the wife to ride in the back because the tools are sitting passenger, but you should have them stored in a place where you don't need to unload a truckful of gear to get to.

other than a fresh oil change, the thing I can suggest is a good set of maps. Helps to see the states sometimes when planning routes than just trusting in a gps or phone that may go haywire
Oh that's a good point as well...I have big car seats in the back, so I've pulled out the jack/tools from under the rear seat. If you use a bungee cord, they fit nicely behind the front passanger seat. I just use a bungee through the handle and hook it to the seat mounts in good spots. Holds solid.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:27 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

2 extra jerry cans of gas
Small tool box with various hand tools
2 Ton floor jack
Extra blocks to ramp the trailer wheel up to change if needed
Old 06-03-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SquareHeadLights

I was nowhere with a failing tire. Lugs were so tight I eventually ended up at a truck stop to get them broken loose.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor256
I have a 14 f150 XLT 4x4 screw 5.0
I will be towing a small camper (26' Jayco 4750 lbs dry weight) on a trip out west for a total of about 4500-5000 miles. I do have factory trailer brakes, oil cooler, sway control.
My truck has right at 60k miles on it. I've had the truck about 8 months now and love it.
Any advice on anything I need to do service wise to truck before leaving on the trip?
i feel pretty comfortable but have never towed this far and feel like I'm missing something.
Surprised no one mentioned it yet. 4,750 pounds dry weight is closer to 6,000 pounds wet and loaded. Even if you tow it dry, tongue weight will be over 500 pounds, therefore you need a weight distribution hitch.

Search this Thread