Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loading ATV: Drive or Winch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Loading ATV: Drive or Winch?

The more I read about loading accidents the less I want to drive my ATV (2011 Honda TRX420FE) up the ramps to load it in my truck (2013 Platinum) bed. I always strap the ramps to the bumper but if a strap comes loose or brakes the ATV could easily roll on top of me.
My thought is to connect a chain/cable to the left and right front anchor points in the bed and use the ATV's winch to pull it up the ramps.
My question: Are the anchor points strong enough to carry the weight of the ATV being pulled up the ramps?
Old 11-26-2015, 10:32 PM
DTH

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

If your straps are coming or poss breaking time to buy some real ones not those dime ones that most use. I've always used a good quality strap and never had an issue with them.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:02 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

most anchor points in the bed and on top are made to with stand 75lbs

want to add a winch to the bed is more costly not to mention bolting it down too. As said get good straps. I've not had a problem strapping my mine to the bumper
Old 11-27-2015, 06:28 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

The biggest thing I would recommend is to have it in 4wd when loading/unloading. 2WD bikes are the ones that want to kick out ramps when loading because the front wheels aren't pulling. The kick will come when the front wheels get to the top of the ramp and enter the bed of the truck. Tha being said, I have three 2WD machines and drive them in all the time. I always secure the ramp to the hitch with a ratchet strap.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by DTH
If your straps are coming or poss breaking time to buy some real ones not those dime ones that most use. I've always used a good quality strap and never had an issue with them.
My straps are in good shape and secure. Maybe I'm being over cautious.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Eco-Mica
most anchor points in the bed and on top are made to with stand 75lbs

want to add a winch to the bed is more costly not to mention bolting it down too. As said get good straps. I've not had a problem strapping my mine to the bumper
I was going going to use the stock anchor points on the bed wall near the floor and use the winch on my ATV.

Last edited by Flintlock50cal; 11-27-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by PerryB
The biggest thing I would recommend is to have it in 4wd when loading/unloading. 2WD bikes are the ones that want to kick out ramps when loading because the front wheels aren't pulling. The kick will come when the front wheels get to the top of the ramp and enter the bed of the truck. Tha being said, I have three 2WD machines and drive them in all the time. I always secure the ramp to the hitch with a ratchet strap.
I always have it in 4x4 mode for that reason.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

its better..but like was posted...I don't have pics...but the tie downs suck for this. and have folded like inside out...if that make any sense...
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2015, 08:24 PM

I talked to my Ford dealer and they can't even answer the question. I didn't think it would be this hard to figure something out that comes standard on every truck out there.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:29 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

well instead of the lower tie downs why not on top of the rail with these
http://www.realtruck.com/bull-ring-r...ble-tie-downs/ up to 1k

go with what steve posted

Quick Reply: Loading ATV: Drive or Winch?