Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lariat 3.5L Ecoboost towing capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lariat 3.5L Ecoboost towing capacity?

What is a pre-owned 2016 Lariat 3.5L Ecoboost towing capacity?

I talked with a dealer's saleman about their 2016 Lariat SuperCrew with 3.5L Ecoboost. What is this F150's conventional towing capacity? And how would I determine if any F150 has a tow package?

I am not familiar with Ford trucks but I am looking for an because of the F150's towing capability. I have plans to tow a travel trailer with about 8300 lbs GVWR. The salesman said there would be no problem towing. So...how can I be sure. I'm finding that salesmen don't know anything about what they are selling.

The VIN number was not informative as to tow capacity using:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/vindecoder.php

From my research, I found this 2016 F150 towing guide:
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...50_r1_Oct2.pdf
Using this guide even if this F150 with a 3.5L GTDI V6 and 145"WB Supercrew had an axel ratio of 3.15 it has a tow capacity of 10,600 lbs and a
GCWR of 15,800 lbs....without a tow package. Do I understand this right?
Old 08-20-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

If you are using a Ford dealer, have them pull the original window sticker. It will have all the information you need.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the 5L version of that truck and would never consider towing an 8600lb GVWR TT (assuming it is 30-32 footer) with it. I tow a 7000lb 24 foot TT and have had to upgrade (Timbrens, WDH with anti-sway) and lighten to make it tow well (I may even upgrade to LT tires).

Those Ford tow #'s are highly optimistic and assume an empty truck except for a 150lb driver.

You can enter the VIN here to get a 2nd opinion on the max TT you should tow http://rv.campingworld.com/towguide

It's not the engine/drivetrain/brakes, its the payload. Check the yellow sticker rating (drivers door frame -- it is likely 1650-1700 lbs) and subtract the weights of everything your going to load in the truck (people, dogs, gear, beer, firewood, etc.) and the WDH (assume >100lb) and that will tell you the maximum tongue weight of the TT you can handle. For an 8600lb GVWR TT you will need at least 1000lb of spare payload so that leaves 500 or so lbs for the truck (assuming you haven't any aftermarket options like a cover).

Last edited by massspike; 08-20-2017 at 06:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (08-25-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

The yellow lawyer tag on the B pillar will tell you what the tow capacity is. It is otherwise known as the payload sticker.

Depending on how many people will be in the cab, how much they weigh along with the gear in the bed will reduce that number. Payload is everything when it comes to towing anything other than a zero ball weight trailer, making it near impossible to actually be able to tow a trailer in the weight they say it can.

Lariats, depending on the option, can be anywhere from 1100 to 1700 in payload, unless they have the HDPP, or are 500a base model Lariats.

Mine is a heavily optioned Lariat 502a and has a 1580# payload, which limits me to 6300# wet trailer if I want to have the family go with in the same truck. That equates to about a 7400 GVWR trailer with not a lot of extra baggage and with full FWT. The truck has no problem pulling it, or stopping it, but it does like to wiggle at times on a rough road.

There are a lot of threads on payload and trailering here, and you will get the exact same information posted in this thread.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
The yellow lawyer tag on the B pillar will tell you what the tow capacity is. It is otherwise known as the payload sticker.

Depending on how many people will be in the cab, how much they weigh along with the gear in the bed will reduce that number. Payload is everything when it comes to towing anything other than a zero ball weight trailer, making it near impossible to actually be able to tow a trailer in the weight they say it can.

Lariats, depending on the option, can be anywhere from 1100 to 1700 in payload, unless they have the HDPP, or are 500a base model Lariats.

Mine is a heavily optioned Lariat 502a and has a 1580# payload, which limits me to 6300# wet trailer if I want to have the family go with in the same truck. That equates to about a 7400 GVWR trailer with not a lot of extra baggage and with full FWT. The truck has no problem pulling it, or stopping it, but it does like to wiggle at times on a rough road.

There are a lot of threads on payload and trailering here, and you will get the exact same information posted in this thread.
Same here. 502A Lariat with 1539 lbs of payload.

The new trucks are not as effected by options as the old ones seemed to be. All supercrew 3.5 EB equipped trucks have the same GVWR(7000/7050 lbs), so the same payloads. They all tow roughly the sane maximum trailer weight as well because gearing is not a big deal anymore. Unless you specifically get the max tow package, even a 3.15 and 3.55 truck will have basically the same tow weight rating.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:05 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Curious what yours doesn't have to give it 69 more pounds of payload than my 501a 14 145" had. That one was RWD, no tow package, 26 gallon tank, no running boards, or moonroof, and 3.15 gear. It only had 1470# payload.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by massspike

You can enter the VIN here to get a 2nd opinion on the max TT you should tow http://rv.campingworld.com/towguide
This site here doesn't match my VIN to my truck.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

This one here matches mine almost exact.

You can then plug the numbers into this calculator to give you numbers that will change as you change things (ie: number of passengers, etc.) because no two trips will be the same.

http://fifthwheelst.com/rvtc_calculator.html

Last edited by BigDozer66; 08-21-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
This site here doesn't match my VIN to my truck.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

This one here matches mine almost exact.

You can then plug the numbers into this calculator to give you numbers that will change as you change things (ie: number of passengers, etc.) because no two trips will be the same.

http://fifthwheelst.com/rvtc_calculator.html
You can also just enter in the details for the truck and get the same report.

The ford-trucks tool doesn't narrow it down to the specs for my truck (I get 3-4 different #'s).
Old 08-24-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

My payload is 2096 pounds. I tow 26' tt. Guessing 6k total weight. Don't think I would want to tow a larger one.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:24 AM

Received 659 Likes on 288 Posts

Default I

I have a modded 3.5 ecoboost and I've also owned a modded 5.0 and it's easy to say that I'll never own a 5.0 again . There's no argument the 5.0 sounds better, the 5.0 got better mpg , even after being Procharged, The 5.0 will probably outlast the 3.5 but the difference in the torque curve is night and day. The ecoboost is more responsive, the 3.5 responds extremely well with mods, the 3.5 has taken allot of punishment over the past 2 years and has never given me a single issue unless your talking about Vista roofs lol.

My truck is lowered, has many fabricated parts, 3.73 gears, brake controller, weight distribution hitch, custom helper bags, Trailer has electric brakes with sway control.

Video will will show passing cars with ease, one handed as I'm filming, 75 mph, pulling a 30 ', twin engine Cobalt boat with ease and impressive on so many levels ! Infac
t. Love this truck so much that I had to renew the tags.... something I've never done In 10+ years lol... I don't always tow at that speed, just did it to show a buddy at work as he can't pull his lighter boat over 60 mph in his 4x4 5.0 Limited. Leveling trailer and setting height of ball makes a huge difference !

Last edited by go-on3; 08-25-2017 at 12:27 AM.