Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a little FYI for towing

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 1,330 Likes on 797 Posts
Default Just a little FYI for towing

2018 SCAB Lariat 5.0

As posted on the other forum, my truck was indicating no trailer connected, no turns or brake lights, but had working running lights. 4 pin connector on a utility trailer. Lights work fine hooked to my 2001 SCREW. My other trailer worked fine on the new truck. Found where rodents had chewed wiring long ago and there was a very slight short that didn't impact lights on the old truck but the new truck found it. Rewired trailer all is good.

While rewiring, went from 4 pin to 7 pin. This had no impact on the truck recognizing the trailer, and no brake wires were no issue.
Truck is recognizing the trailer and keeping all settings each time I hook it up. Truck is also recognizing the trailer being disconnected and returning to those settings, to include mileage indicator both ways. The only thing extra I'm having to do is hit OK for a few messages about cross traffic alert and such.

I'm very happy with the fact that the truck successfully found a wiring fault on the trailer. Also setup not nearly as much a pain as some have said. Been testing the BLIS and it is proving very accurate.
Overall I'm giving this new truck a thumbs up on towing features.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikeinatlanta:
Bluewoo (11-09-2018), HangDiver (11-07-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Smart Trailer thing works well.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:53 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta
While rewiring, went from 4 pin to 7 pin. This had no impact on the truck recognizing the trailer, and no brake wires were no issue.
Did you change the trailer setup to electric brake in the truck? If not, it's not monitoring the brake pin. I connect all my trailers through the 7-pin with a 7 to 4 pin adaptor. If I had a 4-pin connected to the 7-pin and was not receiving an error message with the trailer setup set to electric, I'd have a problem that would need fixing.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it won't with a fully wired 7 pin connector

Quick Reply: Just a little FYI for towing