Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Integrated Brake Controller Labor Charge From Dealer...

Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Integrated Brake Controller Labor Charge From Dealer...

I called my dealer today to ask for a labor quote for programming an integrated brake controller that I'm going to buy from them. They said it'd take 2 hours, but they'd cut me a deal for $150 for labor... Is this rediculous or am I just cheap?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Do you mean installing it AND programming the truck to recognize it or just programming the truck to recognize it?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:00 AM

good question. I bet he's quoting me for the actual installation too.. The sucky part is, they quoted me $25 more than I can buy it from Tasca online..
Old 09-26-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by H.A.
good question. I bet he's quoting me for the actual installation too.. The sucky part is, they quoted me $25 more than I can buy it from Tasca online..
Do you recall what the shipping cost from Tasca was. I'm going to have to rethink some online buying, our gov is going to sign into law a bill that will require
sales tax be paid.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Says free shipping when purchased on ebay. I believe it's like $122 total for the unit.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 AM
Resident Piñata

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I called my dealer today to ask for a labor quote for programming an integrated brake controller that I'm going to buy from them. They said it'd take 2 hours, but they'd cut me a deal for $150 for labor... Is this rediculous or am I just cheap?
I asked a Chevy Dealer for labor to switch two mirrors on my new Chevy pickup..... $180. I gave them a video of my wife who never has worked on a car in her life doing it in 22 minutes! I could have done it in 10 minutes! You're not cheap! Stealerships!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

If you do the install [ its easy 2 screws and plug it in] the reflash to program the truck to accept it takes about 10 mins. most dealers charge a minimum 1/2 to one hour labor. Check around differnt dealers even if it means a little drive you can probably save a buck or two. Also if you bought the truck from this dealer you might talk to the salesman and see if he has any pull with the service dept.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:08 AM

I think I'm just going to buy it from Tasca for the $122 and install it myself, then do what you said. I just hate being taken advantage of. They treat everyone like a clueless moron.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

No doubt. I asked about getting the power steps installed on a new F150 and they quoted my $2800.00, and that was for the AMP steps!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Back from the dark side

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by willieboy
No doubt. I asked about getting the power steps installed on a new F150 and they quoted my $2800.00, and that was for the AMP steps!
Sometimes they quote such ridiculous prices because they really don't want to get involved in that kind of work, and so by quoting a ridiculous price they hope you will go away, and if you don't then they've charged you enough to cover the learning curve for the tech doing it and made themselves a hefty profit.
To the OP, sounds like that was a labor quote to install and program. I put in a TBC in my previous 2009 FX4, and my dealer charged me 1/4 labor hour to program it. In and out in about 10 minutes for that one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Integrated Brake Controller Labor Charge From Dealer...