Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake and exhaust!

Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intake and exhaust!

First of allI just joined this forum so excuse me if I am posting in the wrong place. Thanks

I have a 2013 crew cab 5.0 2wd and I wanted to know what you guys were using for intake and exhaust. I just ordered an apex 300BHS TT. It only weighs 6000lbs and hitch weight of 700lbs. Not much weight but by the time I load it and have the kids in the truck it will get a bit heavier. I am wanting to upgrade my exhaust and put cold air intake to give it a little edge. I am hoping to avoid any annoying drone from the exhaust.

Any advise or previous experience would be awesome. Thanks
Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

most will say tune it to get the most gain as it (tuner) is about as much as ex/intake combined
The following users liked this post:
OleF15 (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 10:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Unless your in love with a new Cold Air Intake, save your money, not much gain for the money spent. It will sound a little louder, or that was what I thought.
OleF15 (04-10-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 05:14 AM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

I'd just tune it.. You can pay $300+ for a cold intake.. Personal experience, its nothing more than a beautification mod.. I bought the S&B cai.. Drove it for a few months.. No change.. Grabbed a edge cs and it was an immediate boost in power with stock tunes.. Upgraded to php custom tunes and got more results...
OleF15 (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 06:27 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

I agree the stock intake flows more than what the engine can actually use and it's a true cold air. If you really wanted you could just replace the filter but gain I'd keep it stock unless you want to change the look under the hood. I have a Airraid JR intake. It replaces only the tube between the airbox and throttle body. I did this only to install the mustang engine cover. It also replaces the stock filter with a dry Airraid filter. But I can honestly say it was to loud, it resonated in the cab as well, so I ended up giving the filter to a friend and reinstalled my stock filter and only used the new tube from the kit. And if your wondering Airraid won't sell you just the tube.

As for exhaust, there isn't much to gain there with a catback, do it for sound, and the tiny power increase would be a boost. But it's nothing your really going to notice.

As it was said and I'm sure many more will say, a tune is the best bang for your dollar and I'd suggest that's the first of the 3 things to do.

Wayne
OleF15 (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good. Thanks for the advise. I had the Edge programmer on my old 6.0 power**** just for monitoring but never changed the settings. It was a good truck, made it to 200k before she died on stock everything! I didn't know the programmers were such a help on the gas burners too.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:06 AM

Well I'll be the first to tell you, your not gonna gain the amount of power with a tune out of the 150 as the diesels do with them. The tunes in the 150s give you some power yes but the biggest improvement is it minimizes the amount of throttle delay, it also changes the settings in the tranny and makes driving it feel much more fun.

I'd suggest a custom tune, not a off the shelf tune like the edge or superchips. Your gonna want to get a SCT tunes to your truck and mods!

Wayne
OleF15 (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 08:13 AM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Z7What
Well I'll be the first to tell you, your not gonna gain the amount of power with a tune out of the 150 as the diesels do with them. The tunes in the 150s give you some power yes but the biggest improvement is it minimizes the amount of throttle delay, it also changes the settings in the tranny and makes driving it feel much more fun. I'd suggest a custom tune, not a off the shelf tune like the edge or superchips. Your gonna want to get a SCT tunes to your truck and mods! Wayne
Off the shelf tune? Edge?? You do know power hungry performance does custom tunes for the Edge right?? Well the EVO still but not the CS or CTS...
If you bought a SCT is would come with canned tunes.. Or as you call it "off the shelf"... If you buy from MPT, franchi, 5star, or the other guys you have the option of getting custom tunes added
OleF15 (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the SCT tuner with the 87 octane custom tunes and an AFE Dry S drop-in air filter. A big difference in throttle response and overall drivability. A way bigger difference than a cold air intake or exhaust system could muster by themselves. I'm sure the addition of these would compliment the tuner. I have lifetime free tuning upgrades when making my purchases through Stage 3 Motorsports, if and when I decide to desire a little more power.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by KingRanch4Life
Off the shelf tune? Edge?? You do know power hungry performance does custom tunes for the Edge right?? Well the EVO still but not the CS or CTS... If you bought a SCT is would come with canned tunes.. Or as you call it "off the shelf"... If you buy from MPT, franchi, 5star, or the other guys you have the option of getting custom tunes added
I was referring to the off the shelf edges not the one with the ability to have customs tunes. And i also was referring to the SCT X3 or X4 which does NOT have off the shelf tunes. They only have custom files installed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake and exhaust!