Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Air bags suspension on my 2017 F150

Old 06-19-2018, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Installing Air bags suspension on my 2017 F150

I tow my 30ft travel trailer with my F150 however I am looking investing in air bags. Not because it sags alot it doesnt really but I heard it helps with the performance of handling/braking and makes the ride smoother when towing a TT. I am wondering what did you guys end up installing? What brand? How difficult is it to Install, where did you guys mount the fittings to pump air Into the bags?

Do some use the Union tee to pump both air bags at once? I heard good and bag thing about it, any inputs on that?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I installed a set of Air Lifts 5000 on my 18. It did a good job at firming up the back end. It used to be mushy feeling before. The install took me (note: I'm 74) about 6 hours for me to do it (but I do take a lot of breaks). You should not use the Tee because some day you will have more weight over one side and may need more air there ! JMHO. I made 2 pieces of 1/16" steel 2.5" long by 3/4" wide (One for each side), drilled holes for the fittings plus another hole at the other end (7/16") to be mounted to each side of the Class IV hitch (there are bolts that can be used to mount this bracket). This placed the fittings just under the bumper but out of the way of most obstructions. Easy to fill.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by storageman
I installed a set of Air Lifts 5000 on my 18. It did a good job at firming up the back end. It used to be mushy feeling before. The install took me (note: I'm 74) about 6 hours for me to do it (but I do take a lot of breaks). You should not use the Tee because some day you will have more weight over one side and may need more air there ! JMHO. I made 2 pieces of 1/16" steel 2.5" long by 3/4" wide (One for each side), drilled holes for the fittings plus another hole at the other end (7/16") to be mounted to each side of the Class IV hitch (there are bolts that can be used to mount this bracket). This placed the fittings just under the bumper but out of the way of most obstructions. Easy to fill.
Would you have a picture of how you mounted the fittings to the hitch? I assume you leave about 5lbs of air when no load in the back?
Old 06-19-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Air Lift Ride Control bags on my '18 in order to level the trailer/boat (approaching 6000#). The truck sag was more than I desired in addition to not finding a ball mount with the drop to make it level. Went with Air Lift based on recommendations here and the Ride Control instead of 5000's based on reviews/comments elsewhere. Not disappointed with my decision. No real ride compromise at minimum inflation. Used a union T for simplicity. Do not anticipate uneven load. Drilled a hole in the bottom of the bumper close to the hitch for the Schrader valve. Took 4 hours to install (Air Lift says 1 -2 hours ... yeah) but was not difficult at all. Longest single part of the process was grinding the lip off of the jounce bumpers. If you get the 5000's that is not necessary as they must be completely removed IIRC.

Last edited by doyall; 06-19-2018 at 01:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rwreuter (12-09-2019)
Old 06-19-2018, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is going in tomorrow. Airlift 5000 without bumps. Plus Bilstein 5100 on the front. I'm told it will be a great ride and level to 1/4 inch. I will be getting a travel trailer so that is one reason for it. Also never liked the nose down look. Will be looking at larger tires for towing after this. Just to fill in not to be oversize.
God luck
Old 06-20-2018, 08:05 PM

The air lift looks easy to install well they both do, however why would one get a 5000lb capacity vs 2000lb? I assume that's the max payload it can handle? If so my truck is rated 1750lbs, why would I even bother with a 5000lb capacity?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:08 PM

As far as everything I've been reading you don't need the 5000. The difference is the 2000 basically goes over the springs of your original shocks.The 5000 without bump stock is more independent. You can leave them with NO air and will have the same ride as stock. When loaded you air up to compensate. It really doesn't do anything for your Payload. I have a lot of equipment in my truck. Adding a trailer will help keeping it level.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:08 PM

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

From

https://www.airliftcompany.com/works...-truck-owners/ :RideControl is your best bet IF you are a weekend road-tripper, and you look forward to hitching up a pop-up camper and loading a mobile fire pit into the bed of your truck. It has a load-leveling capacity of 2,000 pounds. In other words, it’s the kit for you if you tow and/or haul occasionally. Of the three kits we’re discussing here, RideControl is the one that offers the most comfort when you’re not towing or hauling.Both LoadLifter 5000 and LoadLifter 5000 ULTIMATE have 5,000 pounds of load-leveling capacity, and both have a single- or double-bellows style spring…and the sameness pretty much stops there. LoadLifter 5000 is for you IF you’ll use it frequently throughout the week. It’s identified as the “heavy duty” kit…so it’s ready for anything. It has solid capacity and we recommend it when you tow and haul pretty often.LoadLifter 5000 ULTIMATE has an internal jounce bumper. You should buy this kit IF you are going to use it like it’s your job—kind of literally for your job, that is. This kit is what we call “commercial duty.” Like we mentioned earlier, the ULTIMATE has that added jounce bumper. This kit provides some extra comfort, prevents bottoming out, and pretty much gets rid of the harsh ride that you’re probably used to.
The following 2 users liked this post by doyall:
rwreuter (12-09-2019), snopro12 (11-06-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:09 PM

Also from technicians I have talk to the 5000 is a lot more durable.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:22 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Air Ride 1000's. No issues 30 psi. No way on 5000's for me. They will affect you unhitched ride.
The following users liked this post:
rwreuter (12-09-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing Air bags suspension on my 2017 F150