Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increasing your payload from avoiding heavy options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Increasing your payload from avoiding heavy options?

I have been looking at the payloads from various users's F-150s. I am unable to find a F-150's payload with the setup that I would be interested in. I did find this document, that mentions the different payloads: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...load_SB_v5.pdf

Can I just get someone's with as similar setup that I want such as shortdustoff's: 2016 Lariat w/ a payload of 1604, then just subtract the options I don't want, so I can increase the payload?

i.e.
Truck 1604 (equipped with below options)
-MoonRoof 54
-36 Gal 83
-Step 63
-Liner 45
--------------------
Payload 1849 (w/o moon roof, 36gal, step, & liner)

Granted he does have the 502a and I only want the 501a. Though if I understand this right if I were to order one w/o those options it would be close to that number? I won't be towing long distances that often, so I think the extended tank would be that beneficial.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:26 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

If you need to nickel and dime options for 50lbs here and there, you should probably go straight to a SD
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by untraceable
If you need to nickel and dime options for 50lbs here and there, you should probably go straight to a SD
Not looking for a SD, just want a good margin for payload and want a reason to have a slim down Lariat. Though, I might want to go with a liner.

Overall I just wanted to make sure I had a good understanding of what to expect, if I were to order a 2017 or purchase one. I don't need the moon roof, step, and I don't tow far enough to need a huge tank. Why pay extra for things I don't need?
Old 09-06-2016, 04:37 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

There is an entire thread where people list their payload and options that would have the info you need.

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/post-your-payload-332538

Keep in mind you'll do 8-10 mpg, so don't jump to the smaller tank without that knowledge.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

yeah, a 36 gallon tank is the good kind of weight when your lucky to be getting 10mpg pulling
Old 09-06-2016, 07:13 PM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Don't make the mistake of losing the larger tank. One of my favorite options!
Old 09-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. Back in the day of my 2012, the 36-gallon tank was not available on a 4x2. So it cost me over $1,000 to have my dealer retrofit a 36-gallon tank. Everything fit fine using the tank and fittings for a 4x4. Now I can make the 300 miles to Son's house in Austin while averaging about 9.5 MPG towing my TT. I couldn't do that with my OEM 26-gallon tank. With the 26-gallon tank, I had to plan on a gas stop about every 200 miles. Now I can stretch that out to over 300 miles.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
There is an entire thread where people list their payload and options that would have the info you need.

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/post-your-payload-332538

Keep in mind you'll do 8-10 mpg, so don't jump to the smaller tank without that knowledge.
I know, that is where I got the info from. Just wanted to see if I was understanding this information correct. I am very particular when I buy something. Planning on buying in about a year. My current vehicle has worst EPA MPG and it only has a 20 gallon. I don't see us traveling more than 150-200 miles and maybe something further about every other year. I will think more about it as so many say go for the larger tank it and that is why I go to these forums, for feedback.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:20 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by solarity
I have been looking at the payloads from various users's F-150s. I am unable to find a F-150's payload with the setup that I would be interested in. I did find this document, that mentions the different payloads: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...load_SB_v5.pdf

Can I just get someone's with as similar setup that I want such as shortdustoff's: 2016 Lariat w/ a payload of 1604, then just subtract the options I don't want, so I can increase the payload?

i.e.
Truck 1604 (equipped with below options)
-MoonRoof 54
-36 Gal 83
-Step 63
-Liner 45
--------------------
Payload 1849 (w/o moon roof, 36gal, step, & liner)

Granted he does have the 502a and I only want the 501a. Though if I understand this right if I were to order one w/o those options it would be close to that number? I won't be towing long distances that often, so I think the extended tank would be that beneficial.
Yes, the math you are using is correct, but it is difficult to come out just right. When Ford changes parts or upgrades parts on the line for 2017 or during a year's production run, your results will vary. The best thing to do is to use the link as a guide, and special order the truck that will provide you 10 to 20% more payload than you think you will need. That way you will not have to worry as much about packing, growing families, and bringing home extra cargo from apple orchards, antique stores, and swap meets during your travels. That is how I arrived at desiring a Heavy Duty Payload package truck. Do I have to have it to tow a 21 foot hybrid camper? Absolutely not. Do I need 2200 pounds of payload when I load a family of 5 (approximately 850 pounds), baby stroller, baby seat, diaper bag, folding high chair, kids wagon, firewood, cooler, luggage, golf clubs, fishing tackle, pack-n-play, etc. in the truck bed and camper? Absolutely.

Plan for the future as you shop for your new truck. Kids grow, want to bring along friends, and have a lot of stuff to take along. Congratulations for being on the right track of planning ahead instead of buying something inappropriate and then looking for mods to minimize the problems created by the poor choice.
The following users liked this post:
solarity (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 09:58 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Wow, doing 300 miles in one sitting, I used to be able to do that, but now 200 is my limit. It's a good point, range is important, but if your like me, and have to stop every couple hundred miles to stretch and walk around, then the 26 gallon tank is not that bad a choice. I also carry 5 gallons of gas in the back for the generator, so if I happen to miss a fill and not find one in time, at least I wont be stranded.

One thing to look for, anything with a 5'6" bed will have a lower payload and smaller tank, so avoid 145" WB trucks. A bed Rug makes for a very good light weight liner too.

Quick Reply: Increasing your payload from avoiding heavy options?