Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improve ease of pluggin trailer plug in

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:23 PM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Improve ease of pluggin trailer plug in

Is there any lubricant that can be used. I feel like I have to wiggle it a lot to get it in.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:35 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Dielectric grease, always have a cover on the truck side, especially after dielectric grease use.

Also clean the inside of the plug on the truck and around the plug on the trailer. They fit tight so that it does not just fall out when you hit bumps on the road.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Nighthawk87
Is there any lubricant that can be used. I feel like I have to wiggle it a lot to get it in. ....

...oh man, this one is just too easy. Steve Carrell would have a field day with this one. lol
The following users liked this post:
homeskizzle (05-24-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gx2Lariat
...oh man, this one is just too easy. Steve Carrell would have a field day with this one. lol
I figured it wouldn't take long to turn this one around
The following users liked this post:
Gx2Lariat (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
Dielectric grease, always have a cover on the truck side, especially after dielectric grease use. Also clean the inside of the plug on the truck and around the plug on the trailer. They fit tight so that it does not just fall out when you hit bumps on the road.
I thought so. Maybe I'll live it just a little.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:20 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Hit the gym?

As for keeping the plug connected, isn't there a catch on the flap that catches a jog on the plug to keep it from backing out?
Old 05-24-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 11screw50
Hit the gym?

As for keeping the plug connected, isn't there a catch on the flap that catches a jog on the plug to keep it from backing out?
Round 7 pin, yes

Flat 4 pin, no
Old 05-25-2016, 01:06 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

You guys are a terrible bunch of degenerates and should be ashamed of yourselves. Also, I'm upset because you all beat me to the best wise cracks!
As to the original question. If the terminal pins are corroded/tarnished, I like to spray them with WD-40 and then plug/unplug several times. Repeat if necessary, then blow them out with compressed air. Once they're as clean as possible, apply the dielectric grease to prevent a recurrence of the corrosion.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:15 PM
tll

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

A little silicone spray on the plastic housing might help. It is not generally recommended that dielectric grease be used on the pins or sockets. The word "dielectric" means insulator, and insulating a pin from a socket would create a voltage drop reducing the current flow to the trailer. Clean the contacts with contact cleaner, maybe a light lube as mentioned above to get the pins to "self clean" themselves, and then another application of contact cleaner. Yes I get the argument that it does reduce the corrosion, and friction between the pin and socket usually scrapes the grease away allowing a good enough connection, but that doesn't change the above.

That then leads to why we use dielectric grease (really just silicone grease)? We use it on the rubber seals on connectors so they slide in properly and become water proof; we use it on spark plug boots to prevent spark arcing down the side of the plug, and to aid in boot installation and removal; along with other uses.

Quick Reply: Improve ease of pluggin trailer plug in