Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to push past 5000 lbs trailer weight?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to push past 5000 lbs trailer weight?

Hi everyone,

I promise I read up on a lot of posts before posting but although I learned a lot I'm still confused.

I have a 2016 Limited (Screw, 3.5 Ecoboost, 3.55 axle) with no trailer towing package. It has the 'standard' Class IV hitch and trailer brake controller which gets me to the 'limited' 5000 lbs.

If I had found a truck with the trailer tow or max towing package, then engine and transmission would take me to 11,000 or 12,000 lbs if I read the (very confusing documentation).

From reading Ford's towing literature it seems that all the trailer towing packages give me that I don't already have is an auxiliary transmission oil cooler and a front stabilizer bar. Max towing also gets an upgraded rear bumper and axle for Max towing.

Can the trailer tow package be added on by the dealer (in this case transmission cooler and sway bar)? If so, what weight would that get me? I'd love to be able to tow about 8,000 or 9,000 lbs of TT.

Thanks!
Hans
Old 01-15-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

whats the yellow sticker on ur drivers side door jamb say? thats the go to number for haul and tow
Old 01-15-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

It can be confusing. In short, you're not going to tow 8,000 or 9,000 pounds of travel trailer. Period.

Start by reading the PAYLOAD STICKER on your doorjamb. Take that number, and subtract everything you added to the truck. Now subtract your weight and all passengers, plus any gear they want to carry in the truck. Now subtract 75 - 125 pounds for a weight distribution hitch.

Take the remaining number and divide by .13, i.e. 13% of the trailer weight is on the tongue which pushes on the truck. That result is the MAX weight for a loaded trailer (fully loaded with clothes, food, propane) that you COULD TOW if your vehicle had the trailer towing package. What you can tow without the towing package without overheating the engine would be somewhat less than that.

You can PULL a lot more, as long as there is no weight on the truck. That is the major point of confusion. Pulling a huge load that has its weight on the ground and not on the hitch.
The following users liked this post:
hhuberla (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Ricktwuhk and BRUTE448!

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
It can be confusing. In short, you're not going to tow 8,000 or 9,000 pounds of travel trailer. Period.

Start by reading the PAYLOAD STICKER on your doorjamb. Take that number, and subtract everything you added to the truck. Now subtract your weight and all passengers, plus any gear they want to carry in the truck. Now subtract 75 - 125 pounds for a weight distribution hitch.

Take the remaining number and divide by .13, i.e. 13% of the trailer weight is on the tongue which pushes on the truck. That result is the MAX weight for a loaded trailer (fully loaded with clothes, food, propane) that you COULD TOW if your vehicle had the trailer towing package. What you can tow without the towing package without overheating the engine would be somewhat less than that.
My payload sticker claims 1778 lbs. My truck is currently totally stock so if I assume 500lbs for two adults and their 'stuff' plus 125lbs for a WD hitch that leaves 1153 lbs. Dividing that by .13 gives me 8869 lbs. Is that right?

Like you say, I would still need the trailer tow package for that. Am I right in assuming that this is primarily the transmission oil cooler and sway bar or is my hitch different to what is included in the trailer tow package too? Do you or anyone else reading know if those can be added aftermarket?

You can PULL a lot more, as long as there is no weight on the truck. That is the major point of confusion. Pulling a huge load that has its weight on the ground and not on the hitch.
How do you change how much weight is on the hitch vs. on the ground? Is that what the WD Hitch does or is that in how the trailer is built or loaded?

Thanks again for putting up with my beginner questions and my confusion.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Lay under the truck and read the label on the hitch. Likely says a max of 1,100. So that overrides your calc.

There is a special device that hooks to the trailer and has its own axle, I forget the name. That allows much more weight. Few use it.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

If your truck is equipped with the factory class iv hitch and brake controler it has the standard tow package and to the best of my knowledge all F150 trucks have a front sway bar. While adding or modifying suspension or cooling might make it easier to haul or tow more weight The factory sets the max load when it is built and nothing you do will change that rating. so if you exceed the rating you are overloaded in the eyes of the law and the plaintive s lawyer if you should be involved in an accident Oh and your ins. co. may not pay.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Lay under the truck and read the label on the hitch. Likely says a max of 1,100. So that overrides your calc.

There is a special device that hooks to the trailer and has its own axle, I forget the name. That allows much more weight. Few use it.
Toad

The following 4 users liked this post by Dirttracker18:
Drolaw (08-15-2017), hhuberla (01-16-2017), Ricktwuhk (01-15-2017), tdog02 (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

OP, your payload is the main issue and you have lots.

You can add a few items to make towing a little easier on your truck like aux coolers.

You will want to instal a trailer brake controller for certain.

Stay under your payload, keep an eye on the gauges and drive careful
The following users liked this post:
hhuberla (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 10:02 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Trailer tow package increases the cooling capacity with the transmission cooler, and that is how they get it to tow over 5000 pounds. Everything else except the front stab comes with the class iv hitch.

The Trailer Tow Package With Pro Trailer Back-up Assist. is required for towing over 5,000 lbs, and is optional on XL, XLT, LARIAT, King Ranch® and Platinum.

Includes:

• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector
• Upgraded front stabilizer bar

Max tow is all the above along with 3.55 Elock rear a stiffer front bar and beefed up bumper.

You can tow over 5000 pounds legally as long as you do not exceed your payload and GVWR provided you have the correct gearing and add a transmission cooler. Example is a 3.15 geared Ecoboost screw 145" WB can tow up to 7100 or so pounds based on the Ford towing guide. Your limitation in this case is needing the transmission cooler.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:43 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

On a 2017 F-150 Limited, receiver hitch is standard, but the rest of the trailer tow pkg is an $895 option. I assume that didn't change since your 2016 model.
Trailer Tow Package $895
The Trailer Tow Package is optional on F-150 XL, XLT,LARIAT, King Ranch®, Platinum, and Limited.
Includes:
• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver (standard on Limited)
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist (not included on XL Base or Raptor)
• Tailgate LED (standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Upgraded front stabilizer bar

Does not include Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer Tow Mirrors are a stand-alone option and must be ordered separately.
Also does not include the integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC). ITBC is included with the max tow pkg but not the regular tow pkg, or it can be ordered as a stand-alone option when you order the regular tow pkg. Your Ford dealer can install the trailer tow mirrors and the ITBC if you don't have them. Also A1Auto sells trailer tow mirrors for late-model F-150s.

So what do you need to add to have the equivalent of the regular trailer tow pkg. You already have the receiver. Does your wiring connector include the 7-pin RV plug? If not you gotta add that. Then the main things you need to add are the auxiliary (oil to air) tranny cooler, ITBC, and tow mirrors. Don't even think about towing more than a rowboat without the auxiliary tranny cooler. Aftermarket trailer brake controllers will work, but not nearly as good as the ITBC. And some folks get by without tow mirrors, but they are risking a big bang without those wider mirrors.

Last edited by smokeywren; 01-15-2017 at 10:58 PM.