Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much Travel Trailer can I haul?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much Travel Trailer can I haul?

I have TWINS! recently bought a brand new 2014 F150 4x4 supercrew 3.5 ecoboost V6 engine / `45" wheelbase with Elec 6-speed auto w/tow mod pickup.
We are now considering buying a travel trailer with bunkhouse and of course a private room for me and the wife. We went window shopping at a few trailer dealers and they came back with what they said we could tow for a trailer based off a FORD listing showing tow ratings... of 9,200 lbs... recommending we get a trailer with an empty weight of 8,200 lbs.
Looking at my sticker that was on the window it shows the following options related to towing:
outboard mntd rear shocks
Stabilizer bar, front
Trailer sway control
Under equipment group 302A:
XLT series
XLT plus package
integrated trailer brake cont
under optional equipment:
3.31 ratio regular axle
7200# GVWR package(does this mean in ADDITION? to 9200 lbs or only 7200 lbs and not 9200)

That 7200# GVWR package is the one thing that's throwing me off on knowing what I can tow, which will ultimately let us know what weight trailer we can get.
Anybody with any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you
Jody

Last edited by JodyHoffmann; 06-28-2017 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Taking email address off
Old 06-28-2017, 10:20 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Edit your post and remove your email address...

Read the Payload sticker on your door jamb.

The trailer dealer is LYING to sell you more trailer and put you and your family at risk.

Ask daily.

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/travel...-limit-386331/

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/tow-ca...ration-385775/

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/tow-pa...estion-384961/

Last edited by Ricktwuhk; 06-28-2017 at 10:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
BarmanBean (06-28-2017), JodyHoffmann (06-29-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 10:39 PM

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Do you have an ATF cooler? If not, you need that for towing.

General equation here is take you payload, subtract EVERYTHING you will have in the truck for camping, including mods (bed liner, floor mats, car seats, luggage, coolers, beer, etc.). Take whatever you have remaining, and divide that number by .13 (assuming your trailer will have an average of a 13% tongue weight). THAT number is the load that you can tow legally, or at least a good approximation.

For anything above 5000# you will need a properly adjusted weight distributing hitch as well. The RV dealer probably doesn't know how to set one up worth a damn, so follow the instructions with the hitch.

With a 3.5 Ecoboost, you have plenty of power to PULL just about anything, but you don't have the payload / rear axle ratings to actually TOW a large travel trailer legally / safely.

GVWR should be the weight of your truck plus the payload of your truck. Basically how much your vehicle can weigh when you fill it full of crap. When you hitch up, the trailer tongue weight will count against this rating.

Last edited by BarmanBean; 06-28-2017 at 10:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JodyHoffmann (06-29-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 11:56 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by BarmanBean
Do you have an ATF cooler? If not, you need that for towing.

General equation here is take you payload, subtract EVERYTHING you will have in the truck for camping, including mods (bed liner, floor mats, car seats, luggage, coolers, beer, etc.) and all people. Take whatever you have remaining, and divide that number by .13 (assuming your trailer will have an average of a 13% tongue weight). THAT number is the load that you can tow legally, or at least a good approximation.

For anything above 5000# you will need a properly adjusted weight distributing hitch as well. The RV dealer probably doesn't know how to set one up worth a damn, so follow the instructions with the hitch.

With a 3.5 Ecoboost, you have plenty of power to PULL just about anything, but you don't have the payload / rear axle ratings to actually TOW a large travel trailer legally / safely.

GVWR should be the weight of your truck plus the payload of your truck. Basically how much your vehicle can weigh when you fill it full of crap. When you hitch up, the trailer tongue weight will count against this rating.
Fixed
Old 06-29-2017, 10:11 AM

ok checked my door sticker and this is what it says:
Front GAWR 3750 lbs.
Rear GAWR 3850 lbs.
Total GVWR 7200 lbs.
That's JUST the truck weight capacity full right?
When I look at the chart trailer place printed off for me from Ford for 2014 (TOW) ratings it shows 9200 lbs.
Here's where I'm confused and don't know much about weights and towing, but I'm trying to understand with your folks help, which is much appreciated. Are those weights separate? or intertwined somehow, and if so, how?
Looking at those weights with my new minimal towing and weight knowledge I see "truck can hold 7200 lbs" Trailer that I can tow has to be around 8200 lbs empty which leaves me about 1000 lbs of loadable weight of crap I can load for camping?
Enlighten me please..
O ya and I have yet to find my tounge weight? any ideas where that might be besides the general manual? I must have missed it on hitch cause I looked.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:20 AM

GAWR (front/rear) and GVWR are all limits. Individual axle weights shouldn't be exceeded. Total weight of loaded truck shouldn't be exceeded.

Post your payload also--it's listed on the bright yellow sticker at driver's door jam.

Your hitch has a sticker on the bottom of it that will tell you weight limits of the hitch both with and without a WDH. Lay on the ground and look up.

Also, actual tongue weight is a function of your trailer, not your truck.
The following users liked this post:
JodyHoffmann (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 11:20 AM

will do, I'll get back with you on that.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:24 AM

found yellow sticker info in my photo's.. still have to get out to look at hitch sticker later today.
Yellow door jam sticker says following:
combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1399 lbs.
That's just for truck right? wow if so that would mean I couldn't even drive five people around in my truck who weighed 300 lbs. a piece! lol
Old 06-29-2017, 11:28 AM

Yeah. That payload is unfortunately towards the lower end of what you find on these trucks from what I've seen.

Subtract all stuff/people in the truck from that number. The remainder is what your tongue weight can be.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:35 AM

on window sticker I found it also says it has "Fail-Safe cooling system ( is that same as atf cooler for towing) of not how much does it run to put one in?