Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much can this truck tow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much can this truck tow?

First post here guys so go easy on me. I'm about to purchase the 2015 F-150 to tow my boat around and was wondering what the max tow capacity for this truck would be.

XLT
3.5L EcoBoost
3.55 axle ratio
Trailer tow package

Am I able to go 12k, or is 10,800 the max? A little confused at the moment as I've always rented diesel trucks to tow. If you need anymore information on the truck let me know!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Probably 7000 or 8000 will be the max.

If you don't have the Heavy Duty Payload option then the "PAYLOAD CAPACITY" of each individual truck will generally be the determining factor to what weight trailer you can tow.

The payload capacity of each truck varies with the installed options on the truck, and of course the engine/drivetrain/cab/diff ratio/payload package/etc.

The payload capacity for each truck is posted on the tire sticker on the driver's side door.

Most all of the 2015 trucks I've seen on my 2 local dealer lots have 1300-1600 lb payload capacities, and I saw a couple of high-end trim levels with lots of options were down around 1200 lbs.

The hitch has a limit that may be a factor, and your rear axle GAWR may come into play as well.

An 8000 lb trailer will have around a 950 lb tongue weight, and with your WDH head at 50 lbs, that's 1000 lbs on your hitch receiver.

If your truck has a 1400 payload capacity, subtract that 1000 lbs and that leaves 400 for people and stuff in the cab and bed.

By the time the wife and I load up with her luggage, snack cooler in the cab, and some tire changing tools in the bed, all that weighs way over 400 lbs.

You say you'll be pulling a boat, and a boat trailer may have a little less tongue weight than a Travel Trailer, car hauler, utility trailer, etc.

What is the tongue weight of your trailer?

So.....what is the payload capacity of your truck, and what will you carry in it when towing? Do some simple math and you can come up with how much weight you have remaining for the tongue weight of a trailer.

Bottom line.....with just the standard tow package, and without the HD option, 8000 lbs is a very heavy trailer for an F150.

Last edited by KR Kodi; 07-22-2015 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by KR Kodi
Probably 7000 or 8000 will be the max.

If you don't have the Heavy Duty Payload option then the "PAYLOAD CAPACITY" of each individual truck will generally be the determining factor to what weight trailer you can tow.

The payload capacity of each truck varies with the installed options on the truck, and of course the engine/drivetrain/cab/diff ratio/payload package/etc.

The payload capacity for each truck is posted on the tire sticker on the driver's side door.

Most all of the 2015 trucks I've seen on my 2 local dealer lots have 1300-1600 lb payload capacities, and I saw a couple of high-end trim levels with lots of options were down around 1200 lbs.

The hitch has a limit that may be a factor, and your rear axle GAWR may come into play as well.

An 8000 lb trailer will have around a 950 lb tongue weight, and with your WDH head at 50 lbs, that's 1000 lbs on your hitch receiver.

You say you'll be pulling a boat, and a boat trailer may have a little less tongue weight than a Travel Trailer, car hauler, utility trailer, etc.

What is the tongue weight of your trailer?

If your truck has a 1400 payload capacity, subtract that 1000 lbs and that leaves 400 for people and stuff in the cab and bed.

By the time the wife and I load up with her luggage, snack cooler in the cab, and some tire changing tools in the bed, all that weighs way over 400 lbs.

So.....what is the payload capacity of your truck, and what will you carry in it when towing? Do some simple math and you can come up with how much weight you have remaining for the tongue weight of a trailer.

Bottom line.....with just the standard tow package, and without the HD option, 8000 lbs is a very heavy trailer for an F150.

Thanks for that information! Maybe it will help if I post the window sticker for you to see.

http://www.inventory.ford.com/servic...EW1CG3FFB18603

I will have to call the dealer and ask him what the payload capacity is. If I wanted, could I install the HD option further down the line when I need it?
Old 07-22-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tenkei
...If I wanted, could I install the HD option further down the line when I need it?

Nope!! The HD package can only be built into the truck as it comes down the assembly line!! An HD truck has a lot of stuff built into it that can't be added later. Nothing you can do after it's built will change that payload capacity weight published on the sticker on your driver side door.

However, lots of aftermarket stuff you add onto the truck (light bars, tonneau cover, bed liner, etc.) will reduce your published payload capacity.

But, looking at your window sticker, you don't have a whole lot of real heavy options. The online F150 specs info says a truck like yours can have a "MAX" payload capacity of 2070 lbs - but that's a truck with the lowest trim level, no added packages, and zero options. Your truck will hopefully not be more than 300 or 400 lbs less than that - maybe around 1700 lb payload capacity.

How far are you planning towing? If it's just 20 or 30 miles to your local boat hole a few times every month during the summer, then you can haul a pretty heavy load. If you're hauling a TT long miles cross-country and up and down mountains, then you want to be conservative on the weight you're towing.

One thing that concerns me is that your window sticker says 4x2. Are you planning to launch/recover a really heavy boat down a boat ramp???

A small/lightweight boat can be a handful on a wet boat ramp with a bit of a slope. If we're talking anything in the 6000 lb or up range, I'd definitely like to have a 4x4. But, maybe somebody with more experience launching a heavy boat can chime in with some info.

Last edited by KR Kodi; 07-22-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 264 Likes on 186 Posts

how much does your boat and trailer weigh?
Old 07-22-2015, 02:31 PM

I will be taking the boat from Atlanta to Panhandle Florida once or twice a month when its warm, or the lake which is a 10 mile drive. Going to FL it is a relatively flat road throughout.

I've tried launching, and have several friends who launch with 4x2 with no issues. When the rear tires do spin a little, we just have a couple of people hop on the back to get more traction that way.

The boat weighs approximately 3500 lbs dry. I don't know the exact weight of the trailer, but a good guess would be around 1200 lbs. I do want to up the size on the boat in a couple of years which would probably be around 8-9k.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:45 PM

3700+1200+stuff you put into the boat when towing=you'll be pushing 5000 lbs.

Lie down under the rear bumper and look up you hitch rating limits. Without a WDH you'll be restricted to a max trailer weight of 5000 lbs, and a max tongue weight of 500 lbs.

Even under 5000 lbs, a WDH will be a good investment for sway control and a safe and comfortable tow.

In a couple years when you go to MUCH heavier boat, get a new truck with the HD option, or get a SuperDuty.

But - I'm still waiting to see what your truck's payload capacity is, and how much weight you'll be carrying in the cab and bed when towing. Maybe you're getting a very capable truck.

Last edited by KR Kodi; 07-22-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:37 PM

I haven't been to see the truck yet, but the sales guy I'm working with is off today. I called him today, and he will get all of the numbers for me. I asked him what the max tow capacity for the truck is and the payload capacity. Are there any other numbers I should tell him to get?

I thought the truck came with WDH?

I'd rather not need to buy a new truck in a couple of years.

I'll be carrying about 500 lbs in the cab and bed.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:51 PM

The published "max towing capacity" and "max payload" weights don't mean squat!!! The numbers in the "sales" brochures and towing guides are SALES numbers. The towing weight is determined with the lowest model/trim level with nothing in the truck except for a skinny 150 lb driver.

The PAYLOAD CAPACITY is generally going to be the limiting factor in figuring the max weight you can tow.

Trailers should have 10% to 15% of the total weight of the loaded trailer on the tongue - the tongue weight. And that tongue weight will push down on the rear of the truck and use up a lot of your payload capacity.

What you want is the info on the 2 stickers on the driver's side door - below are the ones on my very payload challenged, highly optioned King Ranch:

Name:  A616380F-8DC6-41F7-979E-041315EC73E9_zpscgagdhqe.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  89.6 KB

You can see the top sticker has the GVWR (max weight your truck can weigh loaded to the max). It also has the front and rear max axle weights (GAWR). A heavy tongue weight and some stuff in the bed can give you a rear GAWR problem.

The bottom sticker with the yellow on it has the all important payload capacity ("weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxxx lbs").

Your hitch has limits that can come into play. The sticker on it will tell you its rating - I think the 2015 will be 500/5000 without a WDH, and something like 1110/11100 for the standard tow package (those are max tongue weight/max loaded trailer weight).

Another limit that is sometimes a factor is the GCWR - the max weight of your combined rig. I believe your truck will have a 17,000 lb GCWR, which shouldn't be a factor at all. Let's say your truck loaded up and ready to tow, but not hooked up yet, is 5700 lbs. Subtract that from the GCWR and you have 11,300 lbs remaining - but your payload capacity isn't going to allow anything near that heavy.

A WDH is a Weight Distributing Hitch - the truck does not come with any kind of WDH. Various manufacturer's hitches look a little different, but will look something like this:

Any trailer with a tongue weight of more than 500 lbs or total weight of 5000 lbs will require a WDH. The WDH when properly set up will redistribute some of the tongue weight - maybe 20% up to the front axle, and another 20% back to the trailer axles.

Let us know what your truck's numbers are, but payload capacity for YOUR truck is what counts.

BTW, does your boat trailer have brakes??? Depending on the state, brakes are usually required on any trailer that weighs more than 2000 to 3000 lbs.

Last edited by KR Kodi; 07-22-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by KR Kodi
The published "max towing capacity" and "max payload" weights don't mean squat!!! The numbers in the "sales" brochures and towing guides are SALES numbers. The towing weight is determined with the lowest model/trim level with nothing in the truck except for a skinny 150 lb driver.

The PAYLOAD CAPACITY is generally going to be the limiting factor in figuring the max weight you can tow.

Trailers should have 10% to 15% of the total weight of the loaded trailer on the tongue - the tongue weight. And that tongue weight will push down on the rear of the truck and use up a lot of your payload capacity.

What you want is the info on the 2 stickers on the driver's side door - below are the ones on my very payload challenged, highly optioned King Ranch:

You can see the top sticker has the GVWR (max weight your truck can weigh loaded to the max). It also has the front and rear max axle weights (GAWR). A heavy tongue weight and some stuff in the bed can give you a rear GAWR problem.

The bottom sticker with the yellow on it has the all important payload capacity ("weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxxx lbs").

Your hitch has limits that can come into play. The sticker on it will tell you its rating - I think the 2015 will be 500/5000 without a WDH, and something like 1110/11100 for the standard tow package (those are max tongue weight/max loaded trailer weight).

Another limit that is sometimes a factor is the GCWR - the max weight of your combined rig. I believe your truck will have a 17,000 lb GCWR, which shouldn't be a factor at all. Let's say your truck loaded up and ready to tow, but not hooked up yet, is 5700 lbs. Subtract that from the GCWR and you have 11,300 lbs remaining - but your payload capacity isn't going to allow anything near that heavy.

A WDH is a Weight Distributing Hitch - the truck does not come with any kind of WDH. Various manufacturer's hitches look a little different, but will look something like this:

Any trailer with a tongue weight of more than 500 lbs or total weight of 5000 lbs will require a WDH. The WDH when properly set up will redistribute some of the tongue weight - maybe 20% up to the front axle, and another 20% back to the trailer axles.

Let us know what your truck's numbers are, but payload capacity for YOUR truck is what counts.

BTW, does your boat trailer have brakes??? Depending on the state, brakes are usually required on any trailer that weighs more than 2000 to 3000 lbs.

Thank you for that information. I called the dealership and asked what the payload capacity was. They told me it was 2,070. It seems like a lot of people who tow boats don't use a WDH for some odd reason. I spoke with a lot of people today about it and 90% of them don't use one.

Quick Reply: How much can this truck tow?