Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Increase your payload - Sorry if this has been done

Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Increase your payload - Sorry if this has been done

OK, so while researching new ways to "increase" payload I often see the misconception that you cannot Legally change your payload. This is untrue..
You can ABSOLUTELY change your payload. You CANNOT change you GVWR.. nor can you change your GCWR

So, if you are like me and you have a 1284lbs Payload (according to the sticket) the notion of increasing that number is a priority..

I believe a single sticky thread would be a nice thing to have and I"ll start with the information I know/Have tried.

1 - Wheels. Wheels are a HUGE drain on the powertrain.. I recommend EVERYONE get rid of their Heavy 20" or even 18" chrome wheels and opt for a nice aftermarket lightweight wheels.. Just be sure to check the Load rating.

I chose the American Eagle Series 050's and these wight significantly less than my OEM 20" wheels and have a load rating of 2100lbs each.. This means I can legally carry 8400lbs on them if my truck could take it.. (which it can't) So, it keeps me well within safe limits of my 7200lbs GVWR...

Fords Estimates include a full tank of Gas and a 150lb person.. So lose some weight.. If you're more than your average body weight.. maybe 100lbs more.. that means the difference of a large TT or a small TT based on tongue weights.. Think about it.. that 100lbs of belly can account for upwards of 1000lbs on a trailer ..

If you're taking short trips don't fill your tank.. Gas comes in at 6.5lbs per gallon.. The less you have the higher your payload..

Exhaust. OEM exhaust is heavy.. Get rid of it and go with a nice 3" mandrel bent Aluminized steel or even SS.. You might pick up 10 or more pounds.

Step Bars.. This is a big one.. Remove the heavy chrome plated Steel monsters and opt for NONE or Aluminum.. Steps also increase drag, which decreases MPG..

Tail Gate.. If you're close to your payload max nothing should be in the bed, which means you don't need your tailgate.. HOWEVER.. If you remove the tailgate be sure to install as lightweight a camper top or a tonneau cover as possible. You don't want all that air hitting the front of your camper, it will make pulling at speed harder..

Anderson WDH.. Everyone who owns one swears by it.. Buy one and get rid of the traditional one.. They're much lighter and easier to use..

Propane Tanks (travel Trailers) - If you don't think you'll need them, leave them home.. They increase drag and hitch weight.

Swap the Power Seat for a manual seat
If you have a Center bench remove the steel parts and fabricate some lightweight aluminum brackets.. The Center bench is heavier than my engine .. (Not really, I know)..

Subwoofer. .. Remove it.. Not needed on long trips with a heavy trailer.. You should be focusing on the road, not the thump of your system..

Random parts .. You can go futher by removing any additional parts that may not be needed.. There are a lot of heat shields (especially on a turbo) that aren't needed.. You can remove some and shed some weight..

Brake rotors and suspension .. If you pull these components and weigh them maybe you can find some lighter aftermarket parts..

Anyone else have any Viable suggestions?

I know you can exceed the daylights out of your payload capacity and not worry about a thing, but to do so is taking a serious financial risk.. If you crash while exceeding all these limits you can find yourself paying for all damages as the Insurance company can use these numbers against you..

PS - I have seen people get pulled over for exceeding weight here in Ohio, so you can also be find..

Let's see some more weight savings suggestions..
Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by MightyMouse75

Anyone else have any Viable suggestions? ..
Yes, get an F-350.
The following 3 users liked this post by PerryB:
Jason_Larsen (12-12-2015), JBReid (01-14-2016), Ricktwuhk (09-01-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 09:12 AM
Some guy

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Exactly. You're trying to impose the role of a 3/4 or 1 ton truck on a 1/2 ton. Not sure why so many people do that... It's like saying a tomato is a suspension bridge. It's just not what you're looking for.
The following 2 users liked this post by Martian:
ModelAMike (09-26-2015), Ricktwuhk (09-01-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 10:15 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Payload listed on the sticker is with a full fuel tank but does NOT include 150lb driver. Tow rating includes the driver, payload sticker does NOT and nowhere does Ford suggest that payload ratings include the driver.

You want the best way to improve payload? Trade your '11-'14 for a similarly equipped '15. BAM you probably just picked up 400lb.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by 11screw50
Payload listed on the sticker is with a full fuel tank but does NOT include 150lb driver. Tow rating includes the driver, payload sticker does NOT and nowhere does Ford suggest that payload ratings include the driver.

You want the best way to improve payload? Trade your '11-'14 for a similarly equipped '15. BAM you probably just picked up 400lb.
Exactly. Or wait until 2016's come out and get an F150 with the HD Payload option, which also includes a higher rear GAWR.

And/Or get a 4x2 RegCab.

Still, stripping the truck down to its bare essentials works some. It's just that you can probably only get 2-3 hundred pounds that way.

And I disagree about the Anderson hitch. For heavy tongue weights, it can't transfer enough weight back to the truck's front axle. Fine for medium to lighter tongue weights though. Think I seen claims that 700-800# is the max tongue weight for it to be effective.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Not to mention the fact that all of the suggestions are patently ridiculous.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by brulaz
Exactly. Or wait until 2016's come out and get an F150 with the HD Payload option, which also includes a higher rear GAWR.

And/Or get a 4x2 RegCab.

Still, stripping the truck down to its bare essentials works some. It's just that you can probably only get 2-3 hundred pounds that way.

And I disagree about the Anderson hitch. For heavy tongue weights, it can't transfer enough weight back to the truck's front axle. Fine for medium to lighter tongue weights though. Think I seen claims that 700-800# is the max tongue weight for it to be effective.
Hadn't heard that. Thanks for the heads up
Old 08-31-2015, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by acadianbob
Not to mention the fact that all of the suggestions are patently ridiculous.
Are they,? Really? Explain how they're any more ridiculous than buying a new truck when that may not be needed? How is it more ridiculous than the standard, payload is just an estimate. Explain. Please. Don't just come in here and nay say with no viable information.
This has to be he worst forum I've ever seen when it comes to helping others. Its always easier to ridicule when you have no way of contributing I suppose.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 11screw50

A new truck isn't an option for everyone. I am not a fan of $500+ payments. I have bigger plans, like save for a much larger home with land. So that's not realistic when compared to shedding weight where possible.
As far as the payload not including a driver I don't know where I read that, by it makes sense.
My truck is an xlt 4x4 with the 7200lbs gvwr.
Minus 5555 for my trucks weight, 150 for me and 211 for my gas. Equals my door sticker of 1284. Unless my truck actually weighs 5705lbs. If that's the case I'm going to say ford sucks at building efficiency, since my coworkers 4 door 6.5' bed silverado is over a foot longer a little wider and weighs 300lbs less. That's pretty sad.

I'm currently looking at some max tow 2013 and 2014 trucks with 6.5' beds. If I can find something reasonable ill just trade. I like my truck fine the way it is. I'm not a truck person, I just own one out of necessity. I hate automagics and trucks don't handle the curves well. So spending a lot on a truck isn't something ill see myself doing.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MightyMouse75
Are they,? Really? Explain how they're any more ridiculous than buying a new truck when that may not be needed? How is it more ridiculous than the standard, payload is just an estimate. Explain. Please. Don't just come in here and nay say with no viable information.
This has to be he worst forum I've ever seen when it comes to helping others. Its always easier to ridicule when you have no way of contributing I suppose.
They are ridiculous because of the expense involved and the paltry amount of payload that they would generate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Increase your payload - Sorry if this has been done