Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you cover your towable toys?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:30 AM
nathan3306

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Default How do you cover your towable toys?

Interested to see how and what you use to cover you toys or put them to bed for the winter? Please list the brand if you know it and a little review. Pictures are always welcome!
Old 06-23-2019, 09:56 AM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Roof.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:05 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Winter??? Was dat?
Old 06-24-2019, 06:30 AM
nathan3306

Looking for recommendations for camper covers. Would love to put up a roof for my camper but that is not going to happen at my current location. I'll be lucky if my HOA doesn't have a heart attack for my camper being parked in the back yard.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:07 AM

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan3306
Looking for recommendations for camper covers. Would love to put up a roof for my camper but that is not going to happen at my current location. I'll be lucky if my HOA doesn't have a heart attack for my camper being parked in the back yard.
I feel your pain...the Neighborhood ****'s in my community are way too ****. The board is comprised of entirely 70-80 year old residents who are retired and have nothing better to do than ride around all day, taking pictures, & writing people up for trivial, stupid crap.

Here is an example of how stupid they are. I got a letter in a mail with a $500 fine and some pictures taken on a Saturday afternoon. I got 4 separate write ups for $125 ea...one for leaving EACH of my garage doors open, one for having my trash cans visible from the street, and the fourth for having items out in the driveway. They sent pictures...and you could see me standing inside the garage...YES..I was cleaning out/organizing my garage during the day on a weekend. Needless to say, I went to the office and told them they could kiss my buttocks.

Anyway, to answer your question, I have my trailer parked at an RV lot with a cover over it for protection.

AK4wheeler
Old 06-24-2019, 10:28 AM
nathan3306

What cover are you using?
Old 06-24-2019, 01:25 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

i got this one in September last year....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CXKC48H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CXKC48H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

fits pretty snug on a 24 footer... though it says through 26' . i think they run small in general...

otherwise is holding up pretty good so far in california. would hope to get at least 3 years out of it at this price..

didn't find any good pics of it on my phone...

The following users liked this post:
nathan3306 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:41 AM
nathan3306

Does anyone else have experience with the camper covers?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:55 AM

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan3306
Does anyone else have experience with the camper covers?
Only the torn up ones I see in the RV storage lot. A handful survived this last winter, most did not. I suspect the cover need to be a very good fit and snugged down properly so gusts of wind cannot get under it.

By far the best solution is to store it indoors if possible (Outta my price range)
Followed by covered (No spots available near me and I suspect either out of my range or close to it.)

So, I go old school. I make sure the roof and outer skin is in good shape. I also wax the trailer at the beginning of the season and try to wax again as part of the winterizing/deep storage process.

Oxidation is starting to show so I need to get a better cleaner and go at it. Wife and I argue about this. She thinks a cover will be great. I think it's potentially a waste of money. I also explained that a cover for our fifth wheel requires at least 2 people to install and remove and then it has to be stored somewhere when covering the trailer. Seems like more trouble than it's worth personally.

Just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
nathan3306 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 02:22 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

A good cover is well worth the effort, IF you can do the effort. Back when I drove flats for a living, I dreaded plywood loads as every one of them had to be tarped. The tarps were very heavy, and imagine trying to get these big heavy floppy bundles 8' straight up without a ladder while standing on a tiny ledge. At least with the RV as long as you have help and a good set of ladders, then they aren't too bad to install.

Two key items, first, make sure there are gutter reliefs in it so the gutters either don't break off, or cut a hole in the cover, and two, make sure it has good straps that go under the belly.

Key to longevity, keep it tight against the trailer, and make sure there are no loose flaps to catch wind. Even better is if they have an access panel where the door is that uses a zipper, this way you can enter and inspect the interior when needed.

For me, I park it in my barn since it fits after taking off the AC cover.

Quick Reply: How do you cover your towable toys?