Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to add a tranny cooler, 2011-14 5.0L?

Old 05-25-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to add a tranny cooler, 2011-14 5.0L?

I'm considering purchase of a couple of 5.0L trucks which have some tow features [a factory hitch, not shown on the original window sticker, tow/haul mode tranny, brake controller, etc.] but, apparently, not the actual 535 tow package's upgraded radiator and tranny cooler. Assuming I lack these features, is there a DIY post, or preferred aftermarket parts, for the upgrade radiator and/or an external tranny cooler? I see the Mishimoto (sp) aftermarket add-on external cooler and radiator, which advertises an internal tranny cooler. I expect this question is squarely in Smokey Wren's wheel-house, but welcome anyone's experience and thoughts. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2019, 07:35 AM
Window Licker

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Riggodeaux View Post
I'm considering purchase of a couple of 5.0L trucks which have some tow features [a factory hitch, not shown on the original window sticker, tow/haul mode tranny, brake controller, etc.] but, apparently, not the actual 535 tow package's upgraded radiator and tranny cooler. Assuming I lack these features, is there a DIY post, or preferred aftermarket parts, for the upgrade radiator and/or an external tranny cooler? I see the Mishimoto (sp) aftermarket add-on external cooler and radiator, which advertises an internal tranny cooler. I expect this question is squarely in Smokey Wren's wheel-house, but welcome anyone's experience and thoughts. Thanks!
i purchased a misihmoto fan/powered cooler and am pleased with it,, Now it didn't re-invent the wheel but per my bullydog I've dropped 3 degrees overall, NOTE I also added an aFe tranny pan with all the extras.. Now go to hardware store and buy youy some brass or metal elbows before you start.. thats good info to have lol...

aFe tranny pan
Mishimoto, mounted with hangers, drilled/bolted under hood lock.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:33 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 803 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by Riggodeaux View Post
I'm considering purchase of a couple of 5.0L trucks which have some tow features [a factory hitch, not shown on the original window sticker, tow/haul mode tranny, brake controller, etc.] but, apparently, not the actual 535 tow package's upgraded radiator and tranny cooler. Assuming I lack these features, is there a DIY post, or preferred aftermarket parts, for the upgrade radiator and/or an external tranny cooler?
I doubt you're missing them. The trailer tow pkg was standard on FX and Lariat trim, but optional on XL, XLT and STX trim. The trailer tow pkg on XL, XLT and STX trim included the SelectShift tranny, receiver, trailer wiring & plug. It also included the upgraded radiator and auxiliary tranny cooler. You probably cannot recognize the upgraded radiator just by looking, but the auxiliary (i.e., extra) tranny cooler is easily seen below the front of the radiator. It will have lines running from the bottom of the radiator to the heat exchanger below the front of the radiator and return to the radiator,

All 2011-up F-150s have an oil-to-water (OTW) tranny cooler in the bottom of the radiator. 2011 to 2014 F-150s with a tow pkg also have another heat exchanger {oil-to-air (OTA) tranny cooler} in front of the bottom of the radiator.

If for some reason, a fleet manager bastardized his F-150s by ordering them without a towing pkg, then added the hitch and plug, then replaced the standard tranny with a SelectShift, then you need to add the OTA tranny cooler. You'll need the heat exchanger as well as the two lines that run from the bottom of the radiator to the heat exchanger. Here's the heat exchanger for a 2011:: https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...ans-oil-cooler

I wouldn't bother with replacing the radiator until after you notice tranny temps over 225.That shouldn't happen unless you're dumb enough to drag a heavy trailer up a slow mountain trail going so slow that the torque converter remains unlocked.

Last edited by smokeywren; 05-27-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:24 AM

Thanks, Smokey. I only question the upgraded radiator/external tranny cooler because the original window sticker [from Monroney? labels] doesn't show the 535 package, the preferred vehicle is 250 miles away, and I haven't yet heard back from the seller to confirm the hitch sticker and a bottom-front pix of the radiator to show the external cooler. I have also seen the larger "B" version of the external cooler, which some refer to as the 'Saudi Raptor,' which I would likely install if/when we get to that point, unless this one has the smaller stock radiator and the brand-new Mishimoto alum radiator gets positive reviews. I learned my powerstroke lessons well, Smokey, and had a plastic OEM Ford on my 7.3 crack on the road with horses loaded, so I am cautious; I want to make sure I set this rig up to perform well and avoid issues.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:50 AM

Quick update: I inspected and bought a 2014 XLT 5.0L 4x4 Extended cab, with 78k miles on the odometer. Unfortunately, it has 'new' cheap off-brand a/t tires I may not be able to stand for too long. As Smokey anticipated, its 302A option package include the towing package's external tranny cooler, by appearance the bigger radiator, and the V-5 hitch [its sticker shows the 10,500 gross weight and 1,050 max hitch weight]. Driving back to GA from TN yesterday in typical 90F ambient weather, the computer told me my unloaded tranny temp was 202-203 F. Reviewing the owners' manual [p. 444], I see Ford does not call for changing the ATF in the tranny, or differential gear oils, until 150,000 miles. Wow. When I next change the oil, at no later than 88k on the odo, I think I will change the ATF, replacing the filter and upgrading to the bigger 'Saudi Raptor' external tranny cooler, DL3Z-7A095-B, do the differential fluids and coolant as well, and add the Ford Performance 'oil can.' Any suggestions for other tow vehicle adds before I start towing a 23' airstream next year, using a WD hitch of some sort?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to add a tranny cooler, 2011-14 5.0L?

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: